Another Newbie looking for Z Turn advice 2.5 acr

Cornfield

Threads
I belong to an RC airplane club. We have a flying field that is a large (2 1/2 acres), flat rectangular shape with no obstacles. For 40 years we have been paying mowing service companies. All that we have to show for that is receipts and grass clippings. We don’t have a paved runway so we’ll trimmed grass is essential for takeoffs and landings.
We recently obtained a secure location (20’ shipping container) to store equipment away from thieves and vandals. We will mow it ourselves
1) the users of the equipment may change from week to week.
2) we will mow the whole area once a week and a landing strip (about 1/4 of it) area twice a week
3) we are assuming that a zero turn will be the best choice to get the job done efficiently. Are we correct?
4) if we want to get it mowed in 45 minutes, what size deck do we need?
5) we want to get equipment that will last at least 10 years.
6) All the used equipment that I’ve seen appears worn out.

I’ve looked at several models and brands and it is very confusing.Exmark, Toro, Deere, Simplicity, Cub, Gravely, Hustler and others. Residential or Contractor level machines?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I recommend you purchase the best model you can afford, high end residential or low end commercial. I would not get a deck larger than 60”, as you will have multiple operators, think learning curve. Stick to the major known brands. I would stay away from anything MTD, Cub, Simplicity etc. Make sure you buy from a dealership, as you will have multiple operators, mistakes happen. Make sure you explain what and how the unit will be used. Why, because a dealer will see dollar signs with a large number of individuals seeing and using his equipment. Will probably get you a better deal. Make sure you check the warranty, as you don’t want to be classified as a commercial user, which will shorten the warranty period. May current recommended brands are Toro/Exmark, Ariens/Gravely, John Deere and Kubota. Hope this helps.

Cornfield

Threads
There is not a lot of inventory currently available but mowing season is 4 months away.
Yesterday I was offered
a new Exmark Quest E 50 for $3650 + tax.
A new Toro SS5000 for $2800 + tax,.(new old stock)
A new Toro My Ride model 75755 $4000 + tax
A new Deere Z365 R (48") deck for $3500 + tax

Do any of these stand out as a "Deal"

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is not a lot of inventory currently available but mowing season is 4 months away.
Yesterday I was offered
a new Exmark Quest E 50 for $3650 + tax.
A new Toro SS5000 for $2800 + tax,.(new old stock)
A new Toro My Ride model 75755 $4000 + tax
A new Deere Z365 R (48") deck for $3500 + tax

Do any of these stand out as a "Deal"
Not really. Those are all entry level residential mowers. See if you can locate an Ariens Apex 60. Buy from a servicing dealer. DO NOT buy from Lowe’s, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, and those type places. The reason being is you will have to take it to an authorized service location for any warranty work.

Last edited:

Cornfield

Threads
Ariens is a brand with no dealers near me.

Cornfield

Threads
What about an Exmark Radius E or Toro Titan?

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Toro SS5000—-NO, will not last with multiple operators. Exmark or Toro Titan would work, personally prefer the Titan. MyRide is good, but if the only if the ground is rough, otherwise over kill. Should easily complete 2.5 acres in an hour with a 50” deck, after the operators have completed the learning curve. Unless you have a dealership trying to clear inventory I would wait til next spring for spring discounts.

smalltowntex

Threads
Keep looking till springtime like Rivets suggested and in the meantime... I would educate myself as much as possible and considering your situation with different users and etc...I would lean towards John Deere line. Buy from a dealer, not a big box store.

Cornfield

Threads
The dealers that I’ve been talking to have low inventory and claim their allocations in Spring will be reduced.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What about an Exmark Radius E or Toro Titan?
A Toro Titan 60” would be a good choice. The Exmark Radius E is another good choice. For 2.5 acres, I wouldn’t go smaller than a 52”. 54” mowers do not have a lot of blade options. So, that might limit you to OEM blades.
No Ariens dealers? What about Gravely? The Gravely ZT HD is basically the same as the Ariens Apex.

Last edited: