918-04431A transmisson

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Customer wants a price on this transmission. But has other mowers if this is gonna cost too much. I've never replaced one. Looking up prices on Partstree, they're over $1,000.
Can these be rebuilt, are their aftermarket ones that are worth a dang and not as pricey?

Goes on a Troybilt 17BF2ACP001 I think it's a 2009. S# 1C16920092. 2010 and 09 are the same part numbers.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Superseded to 918-04431B which is the Hydro Gear ZC-DMBB-4DDC-2PPX and its list price is only $ 649.64. I recommend you Google the Hydro Gear PN.

Also double check the model of the mower posted it coming back as an invalid number.

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Superseded to 918-04431B which is the Hydro Gear ZC-DMBB-4DDC-2PPX and its list price is only $ 649.64. I recommend you Google the Hydro Gear PN.

Also double the model of the mower posted it coming back as an invalid number.

AH, thanks. It's 17BF2ACP011

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Or you could try installing a new center section.

Hydro Gear
71529 KIT, CENTER SECTION, W/ FILTER-LH
70723 ASSEMBLY, PISTON BLOCK - 7P10CC
70331 ASSEMBLY, PISTON BLOCK - 5P10CC
70853 KIT, SEAL

Last edited:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I watched a video of this procedure. But didn't really catch the reason for the pumps going bad. It doesn't look too complicated. Especially with the parts diagram he posted. Is this who you pro's do?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you get one apart and see the damage done to the valve plate you will understand why they go bad.
The motor is almost identical except it has one less piston.
FWIW when I do one I degrease the tranny, then soda blast it then pressure wash it .
The rest of the work is done in the bathroom after the walls have been wetted down.
You do not need much dust to get inside to have a unit fail in a very short time .
As luck would have it there is a machine shop 1/2 hour away who specializes in rebuilding hydros.
He charges less for a rebuild than I can get the parts for wholesale so he does all of my trannies now .
I just charge the customer 2 hours labour to remove & replace the tranny + what he charges me for the rebuild & give them his receipt + $ 50 courier fees .
HE gives 6 months warranty & I would much rather they take any problems to him than me .
HE has done about 20 or so and to date no problems.
All he does is machine the valve chest and plate flat again then pack up the unit to make up for what was machined off .
Refills & seals the box then purges it.

I am amazed that in the USA some one is not offering this service .
Price is $ 400 ( Aust ) against $ 600 for a motor pump kit so it is a no brainer for me.
New trannies start at $ 1500 for the K46 and just go up from there.
The Chinese Husqvarna copy with the CHinese made Kohler 21Hp bucket engine sell for $ 1499 .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now I didn't watch the full video but I am not much on watching you tube videos in the first place. I am more of a hands on type as I usually got technical questions that videos don't answer. I drove my instructors crazy at times.

It is fine pieces of metal getting caught between the slip surfaces or cavitation leading to grooving and pressure leaks. Personally I have never tried resurfacing the slip plates surfaces but time is usually time not on my side and the ones I have looked at are usually severely damage. Usually if I can catch a finger nail on the surface it is pretty bad. I do know those surfaces got to be perfectly flat and not skewed to one side.

As repairs goes it just depends on the time available and what it is worth to you rework the unit if the procedure doesn't work the first time around and the mower comes back. On repairs like I also consider how it is too as other parts like bearing could be near failure. I can send you the Generic ZC IPL just it is a little out of date but part number are valid but may have supersedes.

Either way $650 is a heck a lot better than over $1000 and I believe you can find one for around $540 with shipping included; although, I can get one for $442 from my my distributor. It is also the reason I don't bother with the rebuilds; unless, it is for myself where I can take a chance doing it. I need at five rebuilds under my belt before doing it for the customer. Now the Hydro Gear don't come with the wheel hub so you must reuse the current one.

This something you might want to check into later as they can run rings around Partstree on things like this. Partstree usually charges list of higher on parts. But the distributor do require you to have business license and make an initial minimum purchase. I probably can get a referral into them so they can contact you if you want to explore this route for your business. If items are in stock they can usually have it @ your door in a day or two but they don't handle Briggs or Kawasaki engine parts.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert, Don't be amazed even most of our engine rebuild machine shops are gone now. Really makes me mad when all I need is the cylinders oversized on my vehicle engine and all I can get is a shortblock and sometime that is not even available.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You get failure mainly due to two reasons. One if too much load is applied it overheats the oil causing abrasion, and two most of the cheaper hydro's don't have shock valves, and when you jerk the levers around it will build enough pressure to lift the pump off of the center sections, and when it relieves the pressure the pump slams against the center section causing metal to metal contact.

Also be aware Hydrogear will not warranty any unit not purchased from and installed by an authorized dealer.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have over 40 yrs that every manufacture will find some excuse not warranty anything. I now having same problem with the Briggs group. Even when I buy thru their distributor brand new parts that fail right out the package. They want me to go through a local authorized dealer for warranty replace which in turn refuses because I didn't buy the part through them even I have I brought the part from the distributor.

So I basically warranty new items out of my own pocket and to h*** with the warranties. I also work for a fortune 500 company out of Dayton that their warranty was written by to where they covered absolutely nothing and it was 5 legal pages of 6 pt print. The only warranty I honor is my own nowadays.

Plus Hydro Gear don't want to provide with parts number anymore. At least I have the generic IPL for the ZC/ZD series; otherwise, I have to beg Hydro Gear for part numbers. They are just trying to force everyone to their dealers which employs just trainees most times like John Deere locally does. I know the workmanship of one of local Hydro Gear dealers and wouldn't carry a thing to his shop for I need to do a lot of rework of his repairs in my shop.