8N Ford running poorly

durtfarmr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have recently taken on the joys of trying to get my father's 8n running BETTER,.,I have replaced the ignition coil, the spark plugs ,the distributor cap and rotor..and the points and condensor...and plug wires.........It will start and idle. but as soon as you demand any amount of throttle or "power" to move thsi tractor ..it bucks and coughs....almost stalls out....
HELP......What am I missing....

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Main Mixture valve in the carburetor.... Carefully disassemble it and clean it up... I'd bet that is where you find your problem...When properly adjusted it will be around 1 1/2 to 3 turns out from the bottomed position, depending on if it is a Marvel Schebler or a Zenith ... You 'may have to richen it up 1/8 to 1/4 more out to remove the stumble under a load...
Remember that the Idle Mixture screw works Backwards of most all needle valves in that when you screw it In you will be richening the mix out is lean...
There is no accelerator pump on these old carbs so they need to be set slightly rich...

One other thing ... was this tractor converted to 12 volt? If it was insure that the coil has the correct, now negative ground coil, won't be a big deal but will make a difference...

The FIRST thing to usually suspect is points & condenser... but since you stated you have replaced them... I suspect it is going to be the carb is too lean... (either adjusted wrong, OR plugged up)...
And finally while mentioning plugged up... insure you have good fuel flow from the tank to the carb... a partially obstructed fuel line will give you these same symptoms... Good luck & post back with what you find... These are great little mowing tractors... :smile:KennyV

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
This thread should not be in the Site Discussion.

Could a member of admin please move it ?