727 oil dip stick bouncing

Dirt12

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 727T6 with a kohler command pro 27 hp engine. the oil dip stick bounces up and down when engine is running. what is causing this? I'm worried dirt will get in the oil.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Are you sure the dipstick is locked in place, it either screws on, or pushes in and turns to lock it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Changes in crankcase pressure is what makes the dipstick bounce up and down. Look the dipstick over and see if the locking mechanism is still intact and the o-ring, if it has one, is in good condition.

Dirt12

Forum Newbie
Threads
Changes in crankcase pressure is what makes the dipstick bounce up and down. Look the dipstick over and see if the locking mechanism is still intact and the o-ring, if it has one, is in good condition.

I don't see a locking mechanism. The o-ring looks in tact but the yellow plastic will not go over the o-ring. Is it possible the previous owner put the wrong size o-ring on it.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
So I take it this mower is new to you and the problem has existed since you've owned it?

O-rings are cheap. Go get the correct one and install it. Take a close look at the dipstick and the tube in which it resides. Figure out how it works, i.e., what is supposed to keep it locked in place. You may also need a new dipstick and/or tube.

Some engines (I can't say "all" because I haven't had them all apart) have a reed valve mechanism which acts as a check valve to relieve crankcase pressure and prevent the crankcase from refilling with air. This could also be a problem.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
2004008s.jpg
is this the type you have?

Dirt12

Forum Newbie
Threads
No. It slips over the tube that's about 3/4". It's doubles as the fill tube.

Attachments

• dip stick.jpg
    dip stick.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 10

Dirt12

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I take it this mower is new to you and the problem has existed since you've owned it?

O-rings are cheap. Go get the correct one and install it. Take a close look at the dipstick and the tube in which it resides. Figure out how it works, i.e., what is supposed to keep it locked in place. You may also need a new dipstick and/or tube.

Some engines (I can't say "all" because I haven't had them all apart) have a reed valve mechanism which acts as a check valve to relieve crankcase pressure and prevent the crankcase from refilling with air. This could also be a problem.

I just ordered the correct O-ring. Will see when it gets here.

Dirt12

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just ordered the correct O-ring. Will see when it gets here.

I got the O ring it was same as what was on the tube already. Guess I need a new dipstick.