54" with MyRide vs 60" without?

drew_351

Forum Newbie
Threads
I currently have a JD 2305 with a 62" deck that I mow my lawn with. Overall I consider it a decent machine but I have heard that I could potentially mow my lawn in up to half the time I do right now with a zero turn. If this is true, I really want to consider getting one! My current rider is a little rough on myself so I wanted to also look at something that could be a little more gentle on my back as some areas of my yard are a little bumpy. I mow about 3 acres, a little wavey terrain, not completely flat.

I am not really familiar with brands but was considering a Toro. They have the MyRide suspension on their residential models for up to 54", but then to get the MyRide on a 60" you have to upgrade to their Titan model and the price goes up about $2000. I wasn't too sure I needed that big of an upgrade for the machine as it looks like it has the same motor, probably a better transmission and pumps but still. I could also consider the 60" without MyRide, but didn't know if I would be disappointed with the ride experience. Is the MyRide is worth it? Does some other brand offer something with comfort and a great ride I should consider? Is the extra 6" width for the 60" model worth the extra money? I guess even if the option is a more expensive machine I would consider a used machine. Any help is appreciated.

drew_351

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seems like several dealers have sales from manufacturers going on right now and claim it is the best pricing. So figured it was a good time to consider buying one.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
No personal experience but that Ferris ZT with suspension and a deck control seems real interesting. Worth a look. Do you mow around a lot of stuff? Stopping and turning is where the time difference is mostly.

drew_351

Forum Newbie
Threads
No personal experience but that Ferris ZT with suspension and a deck control seems real interesting. Worth a look. Do you mow around a lot of stuff? Stopping and turning is where the time difference is mostly.
There is probably about 1.5 acres where I move around trees gardens and such a bit.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
That John Deere is a heck of a machine and with those big tires should give a pretty decent ride, but mowing around stuff would be pretty time consuming. . I'd look for the new mower to have those big rear tires for at least equal ride, and the suspension seat would be a big improvement. And look for a hydro drive that can be serviced. Take a test drive on a couple, I have and the ZT is not for me. I kind of enjoy riding the big mower, but I'm not mowing three acres either.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another thing is, does your lawn roll & have dips & variations in the grade. Sometimes a super big deck is too big & can't mow the rolls & dips. So more time push mowing. To me that is not an advantage. Just saying.

Heinz W

Threads
Good point by 7394, and the main reason I went with a 48" deck for my 3 acres. Even so, there are some dips that are still left higher. My yard is bumpy as well as uneven, so suspension or a suspension seat were necessary. Ended up with a JD 740R since there is a very good dealer nearby. It has cut my time nearly in half, love it.

OP, I think that even with the slightly smaller 54" deck you would still improve your cutting time with a ZTR. Make sure you at least get a suspension seat on your machine, it helps.

drew_351

Forum Newbie
Threads
That John Deere is a heck of a machine and with those big tires should give a pretty decent ride, but mowing around stuff would be pretty time consuming. . I'd look for the new mower to have those big rear tires for at least equal ride, and the suspension seat would be a big improvement. And look for a hydro drive that can be serviced. Take a test drive on a couple, I have and the ZT is not for me. I kind of enjoy riding the big mower, but I'm not mowing three acres either.
I agree, my JD 2305 is one heck of a machine. I love having it and does some increadible work around my yard. I have been mowing grass with it for years and it has worked, but if I am really moving on it my yard takes me about 2.5 hours to mow, and that is probably the fastest I have ever done it. When I hear about people doing 3 acres in almost half that time, that really sparks my interest. My time to do other things with my family is worth it.

drew_351

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I am leaning towards getting last years model of the Toro Timecutter HD MyRide 60".

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The speed of cutting depends upon the driver and the lay out of the yard, particularly obstacles like fences & trees.
I have a customer who uses a tractor style mower and he cuts a lot faster than others using ZTR's .
It is all about knowing how to get the best out of your machine
Little things like cutting around a tree in reverse on a tractor & doing 3 point turns .

There are lot of things you can do to cut down the amount of time you spend doing yard maintenance .
Do you actually need all that grass ?
Are you using it or just gazing out over the estate ?
Converting a large yard to shrubs trimmed clean a foot off the ground then heavily mulched means that you will only need to spray it 3 times a year with round up ( or similar ).
Mounting a sprayer on your mower will knock hours off spraying on foot if you border spray