42 inch rider blades noise

bassman37

Threads
I have a Craftsman model number 917.25081 which is a 19 HP Briggs & Stratton Platinum series T 2200.

When I disengage the cutting blades I hear a sound as if the blades are hitting metal or each other until they come to rest. I have checked under the deck and the bolts on both are tight.

Any idea as to what I should check or my issue may be?

Thanks in advance!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spindle bearings shot?

bassman37

Threads
How can I test wear the spindle bearings or do I just have to replace them?

Thanks for the quick response!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Reach up under the deck and try to shake the blades with the belt loose. Should not wobble and should rotate smoothly. Slim chance there's a blade brake that's loose or worn out too. but doubtful.

keakar

Threads
i think its also very likely the brake pads that stop the blades from spinning when you disengage the blades, are worn right through to the metal backing.

its very common

to test this, with mower off, engage the blades, this releases pressure on the brake pads, then spin the blades by hand (very carefully) and see if its still making noise. inmost cases if the spindle bearing are bad enough to hear noise over sound of engine then its so loose its flopping around in the hole

Cusser

Threads
Is there accumulated gunk on the bottomside part of the deck? When you spin the blades by hand do you hear/feel noise? Yes- with engine OFF !!!

bassman37

Threads
Reach up under the deck and try to shake the blades with the belt loose. Should not wobble and should rotate smoothly. Slim chance there's a blade brake that's loose or worn out too. but doubtful.
Thanks Tom. The blades rotate smoothly without any wobble so I guess the spindle bearings are OK.

bassman37

Threads
i think its also very likely the brake pads that stop the blades from spinning when you disengage the blades, are worn right through to the metal backing.

its very common

to test this, with mower off, engage the blades, this releases pressure on the brake pads, then spin the blades by hand (very carefully) and see if its still making noise. inmost cases if the spindle bearing are bad enough to hear noise over sound of engine then its so loose its flopping around in the hole
Thanks Keakar. When I ran the test that you suggested I hear no noise from the blades or bearings.

bassman37

Threads
Is there accumulated gunk on the bottomside part of the deck? When you spin the blades by hand do you hear/feel noise? Yes- with engine OFF !!!
Thanks Cusser. The bottom of the deck is clean and there is no noise or strange movement when spinning the blades by hand.