24hp Kohler Hard to Start When Cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

twerth

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2018 model Kohler 24hp V-twin in a Cub Cadet XT1 that I've owned since new. It's a mower in the summer and gets a snow blade for winter use. It's always been hard to start when it's cold (<45 degrees), and I have to use starting fluid if it gets much below 40 deg. F. It lives in an unconditioned shed and is on at battery tender year-round.

I have the engine manual that came with it, but it's pretty vague. They evidently don't want owners messing with their machinery. Can anyone here help me out with some adjustments to improve cold starting? Thanks in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The very first thing I would check is to make sure the choke plate is fully closed when you you put the throttle control in the choke position. Easy check, remove air filter and watch the choke while moving the control. If it does not close fully, loosen the throttle cable clamp and adjust the cable forward until the plate fully closes, tighten clamp. This is a constant problem with these engines as they age.

twerth

Forum Newbie
Threads
The very first thing I would check is to make sure the choke plate is fully closed when you you put the throttle control in the choke position. Easy check, remove air filter and watch the choke while moving the control. If it does not close fully, loosen the throttle cable clamp and adjust the cable forward until the plate fully closes, tighten clamp. This is a constant problem with these engines as they age.
Thanks for the quick response! I'll check the choke tonight and let you know what I find.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Also have a think about the oil.
If you are going to work in the snow you need to use a 10W30 or 10W40
Strait 30 oil will go too thick thus create too much drag which slows down the cranking speed which makes it hard to start

twerth

Forum Newbie
Threads
I followed Rivets' suggestion and checked my choke plate. It wasn't closing all the way, so I adjusted it by bending the linkage. Adjusting the throttle cable would have affected engine speed, so this seemed like a better idea. It started easier than expected, but it was almost 45 degrees so I'll need to test it again when it's colder. Looks like I'm on the right track though.

To follow up on berts' suggestion, I've been running 10w-30 year round, so that shouldn't be an issue. Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you would have loosenEd the throttle cable clamp and push the cable forward until the choke closed it would not have affected the engine speed. Better to do it this way than to start bending linkages.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will probably find the cable had slipped and the mower was actually running a bit slow when under load .

twerth

Forum Newbie
Threads
Damn! Back to the drawing board. I'll take another look and probably undo what I've already done. Thanks again, fellas.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
seems to happen on Kohlers alot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.