22HP Kohler Command running rich

CRocks

Forum Newbie
Threads
My garden tractor runs great but gets HORRIBLE gas mileage. Also, when starting at 0 degress outside, only requires about half choke to fire then you have to immediately open the choke to keep it runnin. That indicates to me it's runnin too rich. But OTOH, if I go to full throttle from an idle, it'll hestate before it takes off. The carb adjust directions say that it's runnin lean if it does this. Any suggestions?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To get rid of the hesitation open the idle fuel needle 1/8 turn and see if that solves the problem. You may have to do this a couple of times. If the engine speeds up you may have to reduce the idle speed when you are done.
You say it is running rich. Does it blow black smoke during normal operation? This would be an indication of a rich condition. If it is not blowing black smoke and runs fine at all speed, I would leave it alone. The Command engines are know to rule a little rich.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have found they used different carburetors on the Kohler Command's and there is different models of 22HP Kohler's. So just 22HP isn't really very much information. A CV22 uses a different carburetor then a CH22. I had a CH22 last summer with a Keihin one barrel that no matter what I did to the carburetor I couldn't get it to run right. It sounds like it had the same problem you are having. I had to give up on it and bought a new carburetor and it fixed the problem. Kohler has some very good service manuals but use your right model number to look it up.

CRocks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine's a CV 22 and the only time it'll blow black smoke is immediately after choking it to start. Once you open the choke, the smoke clears immediately. I'll crank the needle valve back out, I'm sure that'll eliminate the hesitation. Still seems this thing's gotta be rich the way it fires immediately in zero weather with little/no choke and the horrible gas mileage.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
We are getting a little closer, Keihin one or two barrel, Nikki one barrel ?