226v possible broken rod.

Cowman79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an 2015 226v with a 26 hp briggs with 220 hours and it appears to have a broken rod. I was mowing today and all of the sudden I heard a pop from the engine and it dies. I have pulled the spark plugs and only one of the pistons move when the crank turns. Has anyone had an issue like this before. Also is it better to repair or replace the whole engine. Thanks in advance.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT will depend upon how much damage has been done
B & S parts are cheap (rapidly going up ) but you won't know till you open it up

Cowman79

Forum Newbie
Threads
So removed the oil pan and found the connecting rod on the lower cylinder broke. The connecting rod also came off the crank and scarred the crank. The cam gear broke as well

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Quite repairable
Have a close look at the holes on the simp that the cam spins in for cracks
The crank can probably be polished which leaves you with a new rod , cam & full gasket / seals rebuild kit
Add a crankshaft & sump that will bring it up to about 1/2 to 1/3 the replacement cost .

Cowman79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Upon further investigation I found my oil pump sump screen clogged with gasket and rtv debris. My dealer replaced the oil pan gasket early this summer. I guess he and I will be having a discussion about this.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now you will understand is why I never ever use silicon on any engine regardless of weather it is OEM or not
Does not take long to hand cut a gasket
Unfortunatly there are way too many mechanics of all types who learned they can put a tube of silicon in a caulking gun thus never ever replace any gasket regardless of it's condition.
Back in a previous life we sued a garage for fraud and won because they had billed us for a complete gasket set on the L300 when all they did was coat every one with silicon and reuse them, including the head gasket .
That was the last time we ever sent a van in for service or repair

Redfin87

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took my 2015 226V to the shop a week ago and I get a call yesterday saying that the engine is shot. Has around 180 hours. Not sure all the details until I go and pick the mower up. My question, with Cowman79 and myself having some pretty serious motor issues with relatively low hours, would Grasshopper not offer some sort of goodwill? I know that I am outside of the warranty due to the year but if I would of known this, I would of bought a mower at Lowes.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Now you will understand is why I never ever use silicon on any engine regardless of weather it is OEM or not
Does not take long to hand cut a gasket
Unfortunatly there are way too many mechanics of all types who learned they can put a tube of silicon in a caulking gun thus never ever replace any gasket regardless of it's condition.
Back in a previous life we sued a garage for fraud and won because they had billed us for a complete gasket set on the L300 when all they did was coat every one with silicon and reuse them, including the head gasket .
That was the last time we ever sent a van in for service or repair
Yep... i tore open a Honda GCV160 once... silicone slathered all over the inside.

closecut

Threads
I have an 2015 226v with a 26 hp briggs with 220 hours and it appears to have a broken rod. I was mowing today and all of the sudden I heard a pop from the engine and it dies. I have pulled the spark plugs and only one of the pistons move when the crank turns. Has anyone had an issue like this before. Also is it better to repair or replace the whole engine. Thanks in advance.
The choice depends on your mechanical skill level.The easy way out is a new motor..not cheap,but then you have a brand new motor.Just keep the oil at the right level,check every time before you start to mow,and do not over fill,overfilling with oil can lock up the engine,as well as blowing seals.Change the filter and the oil at the same time..do not skip the filter change...When lifting the mower for service,always make certain that the spark plugs are at the highest point,not below the oil pan.
Good luck!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I took my 2015 226V to the shop a week ago and I get a call yesterday saying that the engine is shot. Has around 180 hours. Not sure all the details until I go and pick the mower up. My question, with Cowman79 and myself having some pretty serious motor issues with relatively low hours, would Grasshopper not offer some sort of goodwill? I know that I am outside of the warranty due to the year but if I would of known this, I would of bought a mower at Lowes.
The problem is once the mower left the factory there are so many variables that Grasshopper have no control over.
They only offer you the same warranty that B & S offers them
IT will not hurt to ask nicely, you could start off with asking about what their recommended replacement would be because you don't trust putting in the same engine as yours ( and several others ) have failed at very low hours and as Grasshopper is a premium brand ( flattery goes a long way ) you would have expected at least 10 years of trouble free mowing from a properly serviced mower .