2022 Simplicity Regent or Broadmoor

pegken

Threads
Hello, new member here and I need your advice. I am looking at the 38" Regent or 44" Broadmoor mower for my 1/2 acre lawn next spring. I am a total rookie at a riding mower as I've always used a push mower for my lawn. But as I've gotten older now (68) cutting the lawn has gotten to be a bit more of a chore for me especially on those super hot summer days and during the fall with all the leaves to deal with.

I kind of go back and forth on which model is best for my needs. The 38 seems like a perfect size for my lawn yet I've read that it has the K46 transmission on it and that it may not be the best in reliability? Plus the fact that the Regent line, from what I've read, isn't the best for grass or leaf bagging. The Broadmoor on the other hand seems like it has a little more muscle to it, K57 trans. and maybe a better bagging system. But maybe it's a bit of overkill for my lawn??

My lawn is fairly flat with no major hills or low areas to mow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Cost wouldn't be a factor in my decision.

Thanks again, glad I found this site!!

Ken

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would stay away from Regent. Purchase a tractor from a Dealer not big box store & take your time researching & then go try it out operating all controls. Let us know which tractor you choose, thanks, Mark

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Agree with Mark, Regent should work fine based on your description. As he said go through a dealership. If you are worried about bagging, take a look at the turbo bagging system.

pegken

Threads
Sounds good, thanks.

bkeller500

Threads
I would lean toward the Broadmoor due to the better build and stronger deck. If you have a lot of obstacles to mow around ( flower beds landscape and trees) you might want to take a good look at the a Courier ZT. I would go to the top of the line models like the XT model because it is built off the Ferris frame and is much more rugged if you need it. The Courier 25/52" might suite you well. I am 72 and can't get on and of my ZT easier than I could on my Broadmoor or Conquest. When it comes to yard work it's all about the deck. Simplicity has the best deck in my opinion. Talk to your local dealer and get his opinion as to which model he recommends.

pegken

Threads
I would lean toward the Broadmoor due to the better build and stronger deck. If you have a lot of obstacles to mow around ( flower beds landscape and trees) you might want to take a good look at the a Courier ZT. I would go to the top of the line models like the XT model because it is built off the Ferris frame and is much more rugged if you need it. The Courier 25/52" might suite you well. I am 72 and can't get on and of my ZT easier than I could on my Broadmoor or Conquest. When it comes to yard work it's all about the deck. Simplicity has the best deck in my opinion. Talk to your local dealer and get his opinion as to which model he recommends.
Good to know. I also started to look at the John Deere x370 mower but I get mixed views on it's bagging system. Plus that it doesn't have the free floating deck making it more prone to scalp your lawn. Really looking at a deck size no bigger than 44" because of my smaller lawn in general.

Thanks

Gord Baker

Threads
For 1/2 acre, a simple 48" cut John Deer LA 145 or in that range will do. My lawn is realtively flat, and I do not bag.
I have a Sweeper and after mowing (discharging into Uncut grass) I do a quick sweep and dispose of clippings.

pegken

Threads
For 1/2 acre, a simple 48" cut John Deer LA 145 or in that range will do. My lawn is realtively flat, and I do not bag.
I have a Sweeper and after mowing (discharging into Uncut grass) I do a quick sweep and dispose of clippings.
I'll take a look, thanks.

bkeller500

Threads
The Broadmoor is better built than the Regent and will serve you longer. The price difference over the life of 10-years is minimal when divided by 120. Best thing about the Simplicity is the DECK. A Simplicity deck will give you a great finished look and if set properly will stripe better than any other deck on the market due to the rear rollers on the deck. I have a Simplicity Courier XT ( a crossover from Simplicity and Ferris) and the look of my lawn is far better than any of the neighbors. One trick I learned, is to take a $10 piece of aluminum from Home Depot and making a chute blocker. The chute blocker is fantastic for fall leaf mulching. No need to bag. You get a lot of blow-out ( it has to go somewhere) but it grinds up the leaves and returns them to the lawn. It's all about the DECK!

pegken

Threads
The Broadmoor is better built than the Regent and will serve you longer. The price difference over the life of 10-years is minimal when divided by 120. Best thing about the Simplicity is the DECK. A Simplicity deck will give you a great finished look and if set properly will stripe better than any other deck on the market due to the rear rollers on the deck. I have a Simplicity Courier XT ( a crossover from Simplicity and Ferris) and the look of my lawn is far better than any of the neighbors. One trick I learned, is to take a $10 piece of aluminum from Home Depot and making a chute blocker. The chute blocker is fantastic for fall leaf mulching. No need to bag. You get a lot of blow-out ( it has to go somewhere) but it grinds up the leaves and returns them to the lawn. It's all about the DECK!
Wow, great information. The one area I see that is mentioned more than a few times from user reviews is when mowing wet or longer grass the roller bar on the deck can get clogged fairly easy resulting in the bar not rolling but rather tearing your lawn?? Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks, Ken