2 stroke engine (filter/exhaust leak)

Staccato

Threads
Hey guys,

New here on the forums. I'm working on a whipper snipper Victa Tornado Plus (2 stroke engine). My dad purchased it brand new and only started it once and has had it in storage for a couple years now. It had stale petrol which i had to drain out and refill. I checked to make sure that the spark gets going and it does so that's good. However when pulling on the cord to start petrol sprays out the exhaust. I've also checked the air filter and it keeps getting wet with petrol. Can't get this thing to start.
Any help here would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Jake

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the muffler off and see what happens.
Mud wasps / native bees etc seem to love to build nests in the exhaust.
These are just some cheap Chinese junk that is imported and badged Victa so there is no service information available for it.

Staccato

Threads
Took the muffler off and same thing. It spitting out drops of petrol upon pulling on the starter cord.
No sign of wasp/bee nests in there either.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Does it have a small cube type carburetor, or a larger one with float bowl etc.?

Staccato

Threads
Does it have a small cube type carburetor, or a larger one with float bowl etc.?

I think its the small cube type. Can you make out from the pics?

Attachments

• 1 (Large).jpg
    1 (Large).jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 2 (Large).jpg
    2 (Large).jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 12

Staccato

Threads

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I rarely take apart a cube carb, unless I have the necessary rebuild kit on hand. I generally just replace them.

Staccato

Threads
I rarely take apart a cube carb, unless I have the necessary rebuild kit on hand. I generally just replace them.

Hmm I see. Might be cheap enough to replace. Can I ask something - I just realized that I haven't done the 2 stroke ratio oil/petrol mix thing. Could that be why the carb/air filter is leaky?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both Allmower & Outdoor king list is as 2 to 3 days for despatch
That means that neither of them have it in stock & are selling it on the hope that Briggs & Stratton actually have one in their ramshakle totally disorganised under stocked warehouse so don't hold your breath. Most parts out of it are around 3 months delivery if ever .
Allmower are almost as useless as Briggs & Stratton and are staffed by computer jockey children who would be had put to know the difference between a mower & a blower , so you would be well advised to ring Bruce at Outdoor King and get him to check availability before you fork out the $ 80 for the carb .
If the number is correct then it is a rebadged MTD trimer, which considering Briggs & MTD are at each others throats right now is highly unlikely unless they are both buying their trimers from the same factory in China by accident.
Not putting premix into the carb will have next to no effect on starting .
And you are lucky that it did not start because that would have destroyed the engine in about 5 minutes.

If the trimmer was left full of fuel over a long period of time then the carb will usually be gummed up.
This might be causing the metering valve to remain open which would tend to flood the engine
It also could have gummed up the check valve in the carb which rarely come good & can not be replaced.
This is a throw away trimer brought in to sell at Bunnings very cheap .
The last one I did have a Ruxing carb on it and Ruxing have no parts suppliers in OZ so for the domestic customer it is a new carb or nothing .
Walbro USA have a good selectio or rebuild manuals and some videos if you want to learn.
Basically all cube carbs are the same and there are only 2 types.
Butterfly & rotary valve.
IF you want to try your luck the go ahead, you can not make things any worse, but remember that the holes in these carbs a tiny so it is CLEAN.
Work on some clean paper towel on a clean table in a clean room.
DO not try & spray any carb cleaner through the carb as they all attack the rubber in the check valves unless you are using the $ 30 can Walbro carb spray.
I use plain degreaser from Super Cheap ( & nasty ) car parts to spray through them