19hp kohler wont start, sheared flywheel key?

donthav1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a poulan riding mower that wont start, it ran fine, i shut it off, & now it wont fire. Not even with starting fluid. It cranks over, has spark & fuel, the valves are adjusted but i noticed when adjusting the valves that the magnet on the flywheel didnt line up with the module until well after top dead center, like 30 some odd degrees past. General internet wisdom points to sheared flywheel key.

Now is where i get confused, when i pulled the blower off & removed the bolt, the key appears to be in place & maybe intact. I dont have a tool to remove the flywheel so i cant say for sure. Does it sound like im on the right path?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
:welcome:

Flywheel removal tool is a pry bar and a big hammer, just make sure you have a lot of weight on the pry bar , protect the end of the crankshaft & strike it clean.

Check out, Taryl fixes all & Donnyboy87 on you tube if you are unsure how to do it without damaging the engine.
Be careful not to hit the fly wheel itself as you can break the alternator magnets free and then you have another set of problems.

Check the wire running to the coil and make sure it is not grounding out.

A sheared key will usually advance the timing because the inertia of the flywheel causes it to go further in the direction of rotation when the crankshaft stops.
Rotate the engine with a pencil pushing down on the piston firmly and "feel" for a smooth rotation with no "clicks" .

It is not normal for a key to shear for no reason, it usually happens when the engine is stopped suddenly like hitting a rock or some thick roots, slamming into the fence etc, etc, etc.
The other biggie is a solid backfire

donthav1

Forum Newbie
Threads
This was a hand me down mower so who knows what it has run over. One of the blades was bent pretty badly, so its probably had a rough life. I've only used it twice since i got it & did have a backfire when i shut it off after first use, maybe the key finally broke after that? That isnt normal for it to fire so far after TDC is it?

donthav1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well i pulled the flywheel & the key looks just fine, so im back at square one.

May be a stupid question but, what direction should the engine be spinning when running? Clockwise or counterclockwise?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Whichever way the starter turns it.

Eschro

Forum Newbie
Threads
Did you ever figure out what the issue was? I am having the exact same problem.