19 hp Kawasaki charging 18v

gimmee

Forum Newbie
Threads
what is causing my mower to over charge?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will get a lot more response if you would give us more info. We don't know engine model, alternator size, type of unit it is on, nothing. What do you want for us, guesses?

gimmee

Forum Newbie
Threads
I GUESS...:)
I don`t know the model number, it is on a Bob Cat ZTR mower, no alternator that I have seen. I was told it charges from stator.
It will run fine without the regulator plugged in, it shows 6.75 volts on the wire coming from underneath the magneto when the wire is unplugged, with the regulator plugged in it shows 18 volts at the battery terminals when tester is ground to ground and positive to positive.
I will get the model number and any other number I can find and list it,
This is my first time on the site and I do ask for forgiveness for my lack of information.
Thanks for your time and help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not a problem. I know no alternator. Stator yes. Does the regulator have three wires attached? If it does, the outside ones are AC output from the stator which means you must test them on the AC scale across the two leads. If you have between 24-28V AC the stator is good. The center one would be DC regulated. When you tested it did you hook it up on the right scale? Can you test the regulator by attaching the center terminal + lead on meter - lead on -of the battery. The regulator changes the AC voltage to DC. If your DC voltage is between 13-14.8V DC the regulator is good. The reason I posted the way I did is people forget that we cannot help without the poster becoming our eyes and tells us exactly what they have and see. Most of the good mechanics on this forum have worked on a minimum of 250 different engines. Sorry for being a little rough.

gimmee

Forum Newbie
Threads
It does have three wires going to the regulator. One plug with two white wires together that come from underneath the magneto and one purple alone. I will do the testing you mentioned and post the results. Thank You

gimmee

Forum Newbie
Threads
OH, mower addict, It will start with jump start from a car and run but only for a few seconds and then it will make a pop sound and then die. Car not running is how we jump started it with jumper cables. The battery shows to have 6.50v - 8.50v while not running and 17.80 somewhat when running.
Thanks again.
I will check it with the testing procedures like you said then let you know the end results.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
White wires are AC. Purple wire DC. Battery too weak to keep engine running. You may be getting the high voltage due to a weak battery. Before you replace the regulator, make sure you have a battery with at least 12V and then check charging voltage.

gimmee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will do... I am going to do that ASAP today.
Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Leaving to work, will check posts tonight.

gimmee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Mower Addict, I did the tests you told me to and with a good battery all is good....:smile:
Thanks a Million.
Oh do you deal with Yamaha Blazers also? :smile: