Any ideas what's causing this (it's killing my grass) ...and how to reverse it???

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
  • / Any ideas what's causing this (it's killing my grass) ...and how to reverse it???
Snow finally melts away... and within a few weeks this starts growing/happening to my lawn:

DSC00572.jpg

DSC00569.jpg

DSC00578.jpg

Never had (or even seen) anything like this before. Not sure what the holes are. Wife thinks it's insects; I'm wondering if they're caused by birds digging for insects/food. (I dropped a quarter on the ground in the last pic for hole size reference.) These dead patches are COVERED with these holes. We're not sure if the holes are causing the grass to die or if they're a side effect... or something else entirely that's unrelated.

Anyone with experience... PLEASE HELP! At the rate these dead spots are spreading, if I don't work this problem soon I won't have any lawn left to mow by mid-Summer!:frown:

possum

Threads
  • / Any ideas what's causing this (it's killing my grass) ...and how to reverse it???
Snow mold.

Jinzo Ningen

Threads
Snow mold.
Thanks for the clue. Doing some investigating now online. Wonder why after decades it suddenly appeared? Hmmm... Thanks again!:thumbsup:

srsvii

Forum Newbie
Threads
1. How long was the turf covered with snow?

2. Was the ground frozen before the snow?

3. When was the last time you fertilized?

First take is I agree, it appears to be Gray Snow Mold, not Pink Snow Mold meaning your soil was frozen prior to the snow cover and the snow cover was longer than a month. If I'm correct then I really suspect Gray Snow Mold. Get out the grass seed and good luck, rough up the surface with a garden rake, fertilize and seed then roll and water daily keeping the top inch moist until germination, then continue to keep it moist daily until your roots reach three inches or more. At that point you can reduce the irrigation but watch it closely. You don't want to lose it once you get it going.

Snow finally melts away... and within a few weeks this starts growing/happening to my lawn:

View attachment 37312

View attachment 37313

View attachment 37314

Never had (or even seen) anything like this before. Not sure what the holes are. Wife thinks it's insects; I'm wondering if they're caused by birds digging for insects/food. (I dropped a quarter on the ground in the last pic for hole size reference.) These dead patches are COVERED with these holes. We're not sure if the holes are causing the grass to die or if they're a side effect... or something else entirely that's unrelated.

Anyone with experience... PLEASE HELP! At the rate these dead spots are spreading, if I don't work this problem soon I won't have any lawn left to mow by mid-Summer!:frown:

LaurenKelly

Forum Newbie
Threads
I, too, think it is snow mold. Remove the grass seeds and luck, rake the surface, fertilize and sow the seeds, then roll and water daily, keeping the top inch moist until it germinates, then continue to keep it moist daily until your roots reach three inches or more. At this point, you can reduce watering but oversee it. You don't want to lose it when you start. It will be worse if it is insects or animals. I had rats get in and eat almost all the wheat. I helped with them https://louisville.aaacwildliferemoval.com/, for which I am grateful.

Last edited:

Ericcburson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rotten nutrients will cause snow mold. Early cold causes granular fertilizer to become undissolved and rotten.

Ericcburson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Live bacteria cultures will eat mold. It’s powder you mix with water and spray it on.