Yet another what's this ugly/different grass thread!

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Nimblewill is what I found. Also known as Wiregrass and Dropseed.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, I always use the weed app. Love that thing.

MowerMark

Threads
  • / Yet another what's this ugly/different grass thread!
Yes, I always use the weed app. Love that thing.

The lawns look good despite this Nimble. What happens if nothing is done, that is one does not attempt. Go kill. The Nimble?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Chemical control. Presently only one herbicide available to homeowners, Tenacity (active ingredient mesotrione), provides selective control of nimblewill in cool-season lawns such as Kentucky bluegrass, tall fescue, fine fescues and perennial ryegrass. Application rates can vary so follow label directions. It is not approved for use on warm-season grasses such as zoysia grass. Several applications are needed for good control and a non-ionic surfactant should be added to the mix. Nimblewill will become bleached and white as it dies.

A cheaper control method is to apply a non-selective, post-emergent herbicide such as glyphosate (Roundup) to patches of nimblewill and then replant the areas. Apply the herbicide when the nimblewill is actively growing during the summer. Applying in late autumn to early spring when it is dormant will not provide control. Glyphosate, being a non-selective herbicide, will kill desirable lawn grasses as well.

MowerMark

Threads
Chemical control. Presently only one herbicide available to homeowners, Tenacity (active ingredient mesotrione), provides selective control of nimblewill in cool-season lawns such as Kentucky bluegrass, tall fescue, fine fescues and perennial ryegrass. Application rates can vary so follow label directions. It is not approved for use on warm-season grasses such as zoysia grass. Several applications are needed for good control and a non-ionic surfactant should be added to the mix. Nimblewill will become bleached and white as it dies.

A cheaper control method is to apply a non-selective, post-emergent herbicide such as glyphosate (Roundup) to patches of nimblewill and then replant the areas. Apply the herbicide when the nimblewill is actively growing during the summer. Applying in late autumn to early spring when it is dormant will not provide control. Glyphosate, being a non-selective herbicide, will kill desirable lawn grasses as well.

Sounds good. You should author the product label.

So do some people have pure Nimble lawns because the weed was never treated?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds good. You should author the product label.

So do some people have pure Nimble lawns because the weed was never treated?

2 of the yards I used to mow were. I had to stop because I kept moving it to other yards.

MowerMark

Threads
2 of the yards I used to mow were. I had to stop because I kept moving it to other yards.

Did the 100% Nimble Lawns look good? Maybe I should not have sprayed the 25% of my lawn.

Here is 15% of the lawn from far away and NOT treated (yet) with Tenacity®:

Screen Shot 2018-08-06 at 1.02.19 PM.png

The color difference is noteworthy, but neighbors say it's the best lawn in the neighborhood.

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, it looked like total crap. They were not taken care of lawns. Weeds everywhere.

MowerMark

Threads
No, it looked like total crap. They were not taken care of lawns. Weeds everywhere.

Okay, but it the lawn were pure Nimble how would it look ?