2 cycle vs 4 cycle string trimmer ?

Good 1 Brian

Threads
Looking at getting a new string trimmer for residential use , always had 2 cycle trimmers now I thinking about getting a 4 cycle trimmer
From what I read about 4 cycle trimmer are quite compare to 2 cycle , less fumes on 4 cycle and no more mixing oil and gas :thumbsup: but look like they cost more. I would like to be in the price range around $200
I have an old 18 volt B&D but not happy with the power and battery life
One more question some trimmers have a curve shaft other have straight shaft which is the better way to go ?
Any one that used both 2 and 4 cycle give me the pros and cons

Thanks

BoylermanCT

Threads
I have enough 2 cycle engines (2 trimmers, 1 blower, 3 chainsaws) that mixing gas is not a major hassle. With 2 engines the same size, the 2 cycle will have more power than the 4 cycle. As for curved vs straight shaft, your smaller trimmers are usually curved. Straight trimmers will have larger engines and more power, and can accept different cutting heads - string, blades and saws. I would get a 2 cycle trimmer with a straight shaft, preferably with the ability to accept different attachments like a small tiller, brush cutter, chain saw etc. I have a Craftsman 31cc trimmer with attachments, and it is very useful!

deck~dragger

Threads
The last Stihl 4-cycle trimmer that I used, new 8 years ago, required mixed gas.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
Not only do 2 cycle engines have more power they are also lighter. I'd buy a 2 cycle .

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another point to consider not previously mentioned.

Curved shaft wackers will always rotate the string Clock wise.

Straight shaft will always spin it Counter clock wise.

Just an FYI, since I have both, but prefer the straight shaft 2 cycle. Straight shaft also allows me to stand up straight, like God intended man to do.

Mine has the Speed Feed 400 head on it. String replacement can be done in under 60 seconds. :thumbsup:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
One thing about 4 cycle trimmers is you can not run them sideways for edging, Oil must stay at bottom of engine,

Good 1 Brian

Threads
Great replies :thumbsup: so far, I learn things about 2 and 4 cycle trimmers I never new before starting this thread , now I'll be looking at 2 cycle straight shaft trimmer , the main reason I was going with a 4 cycle trimmer no need to mix gas but sounds like there more reasons to go 2 cycle

RDA.Lawns

Threads
If this isn't going to be used a lot and you really don't want to mix fuel you can buy pro fuel.

Mikel1

Threads
I would get a 2 cycle trimmer with a straight shaft, preferably with the ability to accept different attachments like a small tiller, brush cutter, chain saw etc. I have a Craftsman 31cc trimmer with attachments, and it is very useful!
X2
I use a Stihl km55, handy swapping out attachments.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Another point to consider not previously mentioned.

Curved shaft wackers will always rotate the string Clock wise.
Straight shaft will always spin it Counter clock wise.
:thumbsup:

Not correct.
Curved shafts come in both directions.
I can buy left hand drive shafts and right hand drive shafts
Because strait shaft trimmers usually have a solid shaft they can take a lot heavier load on the head.
Curved shafts use a twisted cable so can not be used with high load heads