just bought snapper commercial ninja mower...speed question....

800screws

Threads
  • / just bought snapper commercial ninja mower...speed question....
just got a new snapper 21" ninja mulch commercial mower....the problem i am having is that the speed control...when starting on the slow setting progressively works its way to the fastest speed. is there something i should be tightening to keep it holding it speed? the speed lever slowly moves its way to fast as i mow....
thanks!

800screws

Threads
anyone? cant figure it out.........

Snapperfreak

Threads
I used to have a snapper that i bought new in 1998 and it would never stay in the slowest speed setting. It wouldn't go all the way to fastest but it would always jump to the second position. I don't have that mower anymore and never figured out what was up but all the mowers i have now (all old ones) don't do that. I don't think there is any adjustment there, and i'm not a fan of "rigging" things to work right, but if u want to keep it in first all i can think of would be some type of small clamp to squeeze around the control there. Don't know how much help that was but i know what you're talking about.

800screws

Threads
lol........it doesnt have gears, but that progressive increase...but yeah...thats whats happening...what the heck! lol.......i got some trickey spots that i need to go slow

Snapperfreak

Threads
Is the plate that the speed lever is attached to (the plate with the bumps in it that keep it in each gear) painted? I can't remeber on mine that i sold. The plates on my older ones are bare metal. If your plate is painted maybe the paint is making it slippery????? I'm just taking another shot in the dark here. That is perplexing. Wish i had a good answer.

800screws

Threads
no...this lever just slides back and forth...no notches...

Snapperfreak

Threads
O man. I'm at a loss.

SnapperGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I read your post on your speed lever moving. You must have the new EZ speed style self propell. Where it has a large red handle and you either pull up on it or push down on it to change speeds and there is no "detents" for it to catch. My neighbor has a similar mower that is a residential snapper. I've attached a link to a photo that is simliar drive style. I would try tighting the nuts that the bolts go through the handle that hold the speed lever to. They may be loose or since there is nylon washer between components they might of worn to the point where they are loose. The other place I would check is the pivoting point where the speed selector rod connects to a "L" shaped bracket towards the bottom of the handle. basically just check most of the components to make sure they are tight. I hope this helps. If you still can't get it private message me and I'll try to help you out the best I can.

Parts and Diagrams for Snapper P2187520BVFC (7800436) 21" 8.75 TP Steel Deck FC Series 20

evilcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought the same mower and I am having the same issue. The self propell speed control will not stay at the slow setting. It moves towards about 1/2 speed on mine. I have not tried any adjustment yet or called my dealer yet. If you ind a solution please post the answer.

evilcat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tightening the nuts on the lever has fixed the issue. Thanks SnapperGuy.