Replanting rose bushes

Usedtorent

Threads
We have 2 rose bushes and I want to move them to the front of the house (in the back right now). Can you share any tips so I don't lose them in the move? How big of a ball of roots and dirt do I want to get? How deep should I dig the holes to replant them?

Twinkle

Threads
Hi there. I'm sure you know that roses are sensitive and moving them can put them into shock so it's good to plan this carefully. You need to wait until next June or July though. The surrounding area to take with each bush should be around 12-15 inches, the depth of a regular spade. Hope this helps.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Don't forget to prune the stems WAY back, Around 9 inches above the crown... you want MORE root than stem.
Use wood glue on the cut stems to keep insects out... And use a root hormone to help the roots recover from the shock of a transplant. Happy Roses... :smile:KennyV

Twinkle is right start this in June or July.. It's too late for the roots to recover this year...

Last edited:

Usedtorent

Threads
Oh no! We were going to do it this Fall. It's a good thing I asked this question. We really need to get them moved so we may just end up trying it and then buying more if they don't make it.

TedBeal

Threads
I hear what you all say but I have to add my few cents worth here. I have moved roses twice without any care or attention and, maybe we just have hardy roses here or good soil, but each time they have flourished. I think there is a whole lot of hot air talked about roses!

Honey

Threads
I too have had success moving roses in the fall. I made sure to put some blood and bone meal around the roots and they turned out just fine. The roses I transplanted were Walmart specials I think I paid $4 for them.

carla6

Threads
In general, take about an 18" square around each rose bush and replant into holes about 18" deep and 24" around. Fertilize and keep watered well and you should be fine.

littleAudrey

Threads
About a month ago we decided to re-pot our rose tree because although the main plant had died, there was a shoot growing in the pot beside the trunk. We emptied it out of the pot and the roots were curled around so we cut off most and just left what we guessed would be enough for the little shoot. We then left that in the pot, in the same soil and watered it. It flourished but the leaves grew fungus so I sprayed them with soapy water. It has grown into a 10 inch high rose bush already so I have high hopes of it for next Spring. :smile:

Usedtorent

Threads
What is blood and bone meal? I've never heard of that before and it sounds interesting. Like I said, we are going to hope for the best. My mom is a pretty good gardener and she is going to come up and help us.

Bethieboo

Threads
I replanted two bushes once and I only put fertilizer on one. The one without fertilizer kept growing but it never grew any flowers. The one with fertilizer had lots and lots of flowers.