Edger, sidewalk

earthworm

Threads
Well, I finally sprang for one. A Sears (no shame) 4.5 hp (probably a lie) 3 wheeler, over 5 years old , for $100, via CraigList.
A "well engineered" but thin-metal special , probably retailed for $200 when new.
A 6.5 inch blade, but I see the room for a 9 incher.....
Then , I'll have to learn how to sharpen this little 6.5" blade.
This, thus far works OK for the straight cuts ...the curved cuts are hopeless unless I can engineer two swivel wheels onto the rear of the unit - somehow......seems possible.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Look up the model number on the Sears website (Parts Direct) for a new blade. Edger blades are not made to be sharpened. The 6.5" blade seems a bit short, may be worn away and needs replacing.

earthworm

Threads
Craftsman 4.5 hp Edger w/Bevel Cut & Curb Hop : Sears Outlet

But no anger, no redface:mad:.
live and learn,
I need more patience.
And this is one excellent site, and I thank you for the info.
Think of how much better this edger will work with a decent 9" blade.
I finally changed the blade in the 10685 LB, what an improvement:biggrin:....it was 6 years old...
Oh ! and BTW , even with the old (too short) blade, I was able to do the round, curvey flower beds, using brute force.
I read the reviews - if a man cannot rebuild/repair a carburetor, he has no business using cheap equipment.....I guess the problem is the ethanol ???

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
One thing to remember with edgers is that you must keep the bearings on the cutter housing constantly lubricated. If it does not have a grease fitting, I put one in. This is the most common repair on these units and most times replacement parts are no longer available, or cost too much.

earthworm

Threads
Again, excellent advice.....nothing like fresh grease to chase away dirt...The old cars had these zerks.. I am an old time "grease monkey" ...
Now, if we have sealed bearings here, how is the fresh grease to enter ??
Well, its new blade time.
Beautiful weather, now...
http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/grd/3059288144.html
I wish I had known of this one sooner.
Turfco, $1,200 new.

Last edited:

stygz

Threads
Good you found one. No need to sharpen the blade.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I understand your question about sealed bearings. Here is the answer which I would give to my students. A sealed bearing cannot accept grease until the seal breaks, who checks sealed bearing before they breakdown. If you surround the bearing with grease it will go no where until the seal breaks and then into the bearing through the break. Also the grease will keep the rubber seal soft longer extending the life of the bearing for just a few pennies. Hope this makes sense.