?'s on Gemini 771 outer axle bearing

JUST4FUN

Threads
Re: ?'s on Gemini 771 outer axle bearing/Up-date

Its been a wk or 2 & seems to be fine so far. I put the old fluid back in till I know everything's OK, then I'll put the new Mobil DTE 10 Excel 100 in & new filters.

Next Time it needs an "outer" axle bearing replaced I'll attempt it without removing the housing, (unless there's hardened gunk on the axle shaft hindering it's removal,...etc.)...cause...

... only the "inner" bearing was pressed in. The one not shown or listed with an Item number in the explosive views,...but is mentioned with Item 1 ..."Axle Housing-High Thrust BRG". I believe this is the one that's pressed & needing "Special" tools. I knew I should have taken a pic of it while it was apart,...dangit!

Pic of roughly where the "High Thrust BRG" is
The two holes that is where the trans mounts to the tractor with the block and bolts are used to pull the flange off

thehemikid

Threads
That's cool, :thumbsup:... I have no Shop Manuals & did not see this info anywhere, didn't notice the hole spacing on the block was the same as the drive hub flange. I'm usually curious enough to find things like that but didn't, & I'll have to check that out sometime. Would have been nice to have known at the time, ...I wouldn't of had to make a puller,...

but also,... now that I have,... & now that I know that my outer bearing "may" come out without having to remove the axle housing. I can pull the flange as soon as the tire/wheel is off,... replace the outer bearing & never have to take the block & bolts off to use for a puller.

Which brings me to another ?. I assume that if this block is also a puller that it would be easier if the long bolts go in from the bottom. Mine were in from the top, ...but if they were in from the bottom, & they were to come loose, then they could fall out, of which they couldn't from the top. That's why I put mine back in from the top, ...even though its a little aggravating with the Traction Spring.

crustin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a model 720 that is leaking fluid from the left side. I see no seal in your diagram. Is the bearing a sealed one?
Thanks

thehemikid

Threads
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner, I've been busy with other things.

There is a seal (#5 in diagram) between the outer axle bearing & the snap ring that's in its grove on the axle.

Attachments

• 771 axle housing explosive view 1.png
    771 axle housing explosive view 1.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 27

crustin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks.
I bought this mower this fall. It works great, just started leaking a little on the left side. I think it will be a tough mower!