Does anyone else have a two-stroke Lawn Boy?

edporch

Threads
I have a 2003 22260 Commercial Duraforce 2 cycle.
I bought new in the last year I could buy a 2 cycle many years ago.

It ran great the first year.
Would start on the first or second pull.

Immediately the second year, it got harder to start and soon got to where if I didn't start it the moment I opened the fuel valve, the carb would flood and it wouldn't start.
And when it ran it would surge.
Finally after some more years, it got to where it wouldn't start at all.
I suspected, but had no proof that running 10% ethanol gasoline may have messed up the carb.
(even though the Manual says up to 10% ethanol is OK)

Since then SOME years ago, I began running only non-ethanol gasoline in my mowers.

RECENTLY, I got it out of the shed to get it running.
Removed the carb and took it apart.

I found the float is all shriveled up.
That might explain the flooding.

It has a "98-7000" carb.
I was told a Toro "107-4607" carb is the same (they do look the same).
So i ordered one.

Hope this will fix it because it's a great mower when it's running right.

Russ2251

Threads
the moment I opened the fuel valve, the carb would flood and it wouldn't start.
Just a simple change of needle/float/seat would have solved all but the lean issue.

edporch

Threads
Just a simple change of needle/float/seat would have solved all but the lean issue.

I see that now.
But I already had another carb on order while I can still get one before I opened this one up.
Guess I'll go ahead and get a needle/float/seat to fix this one.

AND do the jet modification.

Plus, since I began using non-ethanol gasoline some years ago (which a local station sells at the pump), I've had WAY less trouble with any of my smalled engined stuff.

However, that first year I had it, the mower idled steady and ran smooth under power.
It was the second season I began having some issues.

edporch

Threads

I went ahead and built the carb with parts I ordered.
Started on the first pull!!

Went out and mowed some tall grass.
Runs as good as new!!:biggrin:

wvmouser

Forum Newbie
Threads
8243 1987 model and a Duraforce.... My Dad has a 1965 bricktop but it needs carb work.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I parked this one in the barn several years ago and it was running then so I shut it off. Now I can barely push a pencil so Boy doesn't get pushed anymore.

Attachments

• Lawn Boy 2003 .jpg
    Lawn Boy 2003 .jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 30

Lawnboy77

Threads
I parked this one in the barn several years ago and it was running then so I shut it off. Now I can barely push a pencil so Boy doesn't get pushed anymore.

Very nice machine you have there! A super rare 1977 model 5084.

nitehawk55

Threads
A couple years back I got lucky and got a brand new in the box Iron Horse D501......that's correct a D501 brick top as a complete bolt on assembly . Was in the original box with the tag . I have not found much info on these but the fact it has Iron Horse marked on the top of the shroud with the starting instructions makes that odd too . No Lawn Boy on the front . I think it dates 1971 with the engine Ser. # starting with 1 and the gas tank is metal too . Built in Peterborough.

Threads
I have two a 7073 with a steel frame but its rotted out

And i have a 6272e with a bagger i only got a pic of this one tho its a magnesium deck20190724_194734.jpg

HoosierSam

Threads
YES!! I have several of these great old mowers,and use one every week at our residence since 1980. I'm one of those LawnBoy hoarders too..... Those engines are great performers. I use the same Maxima Castor 927 oil w/ 91oct ethanol-free gas in them as I do in all of my other two-stroke engines(all the dirtbikes,chain saws,trimmers,blowers,Saab 96,etc.etc.) Surprisingly long lived engines. Fortunately a chum of mine purchased an old Lawnboy parts inventory a few years back,so I'm OK regarding parts....