Moving to country lot with about 3 acres to mow

robertjmaurer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am finally moving out of the city platt and back out in the country. I bought a place with 10 acres. I will need to mow about 3 to 4 acres of the property. The back is pretty flat the front has a lot of trees and slopes down to a creek. The slope is gentle at first, but has a few steeper spots close to the creek. The previous owner uses a 48" walk behind Bobcat brand mower. However, he claims that with this mower it takes him about 3.5 hours to mow the yard. I do not want to spend this much time mowing. I have looked at zero turn mowers thinking that this was the best bet to reduce mowing time. I have not looked much into garden tractors. I would like some suggestions on mower deck size and tractor type and brand. I have looked at Hustler, Simplicity, Bobcat, Scag, and Exmark at 2 different local dealers. I think that between these machines that I liked the Exmark the best. However, any hands on experience with any of these machines will be appreciated. I was looking at mowers with 60" cutting width. I am not sure if this is too big for the varying contours or not? Should I look at mowers in the 52" to 54" range? The previous owner's mower is for sale, but again it took him 3.5 hours to complete the yard. Would adding a sulky shorten this time? I know some of these question will be hard to answer without seeing the property. I also now that I will end up hearing a lot of varying opinions.

scott47429

Threads
my money would be on he Exmark but there are alot of good brands out there you have to be careful with the ZTRs on slopes go slower cause once the rear wheels loose traction you loose control so be careful the bigger heaver mowers will be alot better i had a residential ZTR and it didn't hold on hills so i got a used exmark and its great but still have to be careful don't just listen to me listen to everyone here there is alot of great info here and take your time check out all the brands and try to buy one that has a dealer close to you for any problems or service you need unless you can do it yourself most of your dealers if there good they will bring you mowers to test drive so take your time but i do love mine

possum

Threads
Of the machines you mention Exmark is the top dog around here for the city, parks, low rent houseing, health care, schools etc. and they are well liked and well abused. For contractor types who come in and do work in the fall Hustler is a big one, with farmers with nice large yards as well. The rest are scattered with John Deere being well favored, a couple Gravely, Cub Cadet, Toro, Troybilt, Huskvarna, and World Lawn in about that order. Three acres is not alot to mow, but if you are in a hurry it can be.

robertjmaurer

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Exmark mowers I was guided to were the Pioneer S Model with 60" cut and the Lazer Z E-Series with a 60" cut. The Pioneer S was quoted to me at roughly $7100 and the Lazer Z was quoted at roughly $7900.
The Hustler model that I was guided towards was the Fas Trak ($6,200) and Fas Trak Super Duty ($7,100).
I lean towards the Exmark due to features pointed out by the salesman. However, price advantage is pulling me back to Hustler. I have not driven either machine as of yet.