My New John Deere D110

tallgoat

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello All - Last week, I took deliivery on a new D110 which I bought from my local John Deere dealer (they ordered it for me) than from the local Lowes. I chose to do this for all the obvious reasons. I am very pleased with the quick starting, how easy the hydrostatic drive works and the gentle steering. My neighbor's Husqavarna (as well as the Yard Bug I had previously) steered like a tank. I had asked that a mulching kit be installed and it does a beautiful job of cutting but I found that the operating noice and vibration from the mowing deck is excessive. My thought was that the blades might not have been installed correctly; but then it did cut quite well. I called the guy at the dealership and he talked to the service manager and I was then told that 'this mower is not really a John Deere' and I shouldn't expect it to operate like one. I wouild maintain that it is a Deere and their name and reputation is in it and on it. If Deere chose to compete in the lower end market, that was their choice. I have read a lot of blogs now and I think that I have a general idea of where all they have lightened up on things with the 100 series. Some of the things that people gripe about; who cares if the gas filler is under the seat or on the fender. What I want to do now is to start making improvements so that my Deere ownership experience is more in line with expectations. Hopefully I can do this short of the 1500 dollar difference between the D110 and say an X300. Exhaust muffler and mowing deck I figure deserve some attention. My other choice of course it to get a better set of earphones and just mow mow mow. Any suggestions or comments. Regards, tallgoat

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum. :smile:

soulman

Threads
Does JD have a 30 day return policy on the 100 series? If so, I'd return it and never go near that dealer again. Find another dealer and spring for an X3**, cheaper in the long run. I believe the Select series is head and shoulders above any of the other brands out there today.

talley2191

Threads
I think the biggest difference being an owner of a LA 125 and an X300 is the Briggs garbage engine vs the Kawasaki. Head gasket went on the Briggs with 140 hours. I'll never buy anything with a Briggs engine again.

talley2191

Threads
soulman said:
Does JD have a 30 day return policy on the 100 series? If so, I'd return it and never go near that dealer again. Find another dealer and spring for an X3**, cheaper in the long run. I believe the Select series is head and shoulders above any of the other brands out there today.

I should expand. Return it and either look used or buy the select series. I have both as I said before and it's amazing the difference. Good luck.

viccath5

Forum Newbie
Threads
my head gasket blew out at 61 hours. seems to be a problem with the B&S engine

bricooper78

Threads
I'm at 50 hours, 0 issue on my D110. I use mine as a mower, so it's light duty... but it's been flawless!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
my head gasket blew out at 61 hours. seems to be a problem with the B&S engine

I would guess it has an intek fitted.
Real bad problem with them blowing across the pushrod tunnel.
I can now set up the mill to surface an intek head in less then 5 minutes.
Intek gaskets now get fited with silicon top & bottom & I am seriously considering getting Lanni at Copper gaskets to make me up some solid copper ones.
Do at least 5 every season.
Only head gaskets I ever replace unless I am doing a valve job.

NorthBama

Threads
I work in summer at a small repair shop. I have worked on the 100 series and the x series. There is a world of difference. The X300 is worth paying the extra money for.