Old toro mower '87 - repair or buy another, I need a bunch of help!

Nettik

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Old toro mower '87 - repair or buy another, I need a bunch of help!
OK guys, first post, I'll do my best to keep this short and sweet but there is a lot to cover.

I have 1/2 acre, lots of trees, low lying branches (for privacy), some small but somewhat steep hills.
My mother bought a 21" I think 4.5 horse Tecumseh powered Toro from 87 or 89, I cannot remember, bagger/recycler mower. Aluminum deck, non power driven.

I've had very little problem with it honestly, threw some royal purple in it, and it had been running better than ever, smoke was reducing and was running great all last season, it's seen a TON of hours.

The engine brake no longer really works, carb will no longer allow it to stay running, the mower is aging. Handle is super loose and cannot be tightened.

My wife and I have a TON of projects, this is our second year in our first home and there honestly is so many holes to fill money wise, I don't want to spend much more than $300 on a mower.

Problem is this. Do I fix this motor, or what do you guys suggest that I do?

Due to the terrain of the yard/house with branches etc, I really don't want a self propelled mower. I'm frequently having to shimmy the mower to get into spaces to mow, and often have to walk backwards with it to get out of heavy brush areas etc...

I've been doing research on all sorts of mowers, Troy-Bilt, Toro blah blah blah.

Seems like there is almost nothing I can find that will fit my needs.

I'm very concerned about reliability number 1, I'm SURE you guys of all people would know about all of my concerns. Honda belt driven cam, plastic parts on camshaft. Chinese carbs, poorly engineered plastic pieces in critical areas etc etc etc... List goes on and on.

Then we have an American car syndrome, where we keep adding stupid weighty features, requiring more power, more gas, and fancy drive systems because they cannot be pushed anymore... I mean everything weighs so much!

What should I do?

Parkmower

Threads
I'd take a look at repairing your old toro. If you have the mechanical ability, clean the carb, change the air filter and oil. If you can't do it take it to a local small engine shop. And talk with them about what's goin on. A cleaning and tune up may be all it needs. For prob around $50 you may get a few more years out of it.

Nettik

Forum Newbie
Threads
I think you're right. I might as well give it a shot anyways the worst that could happen is I don't fix it and need to buy a new one anyways.

Only one thing though, which way am I allowed to tip the mower? Or do I have to drain everything else out before I do that? I ask because the beginning of last year I went to pull the blade off to sharpen is, and all of the oil somehow flowed into the intake.

possum

Threads
If your 87 has as odd a configuration as mine does it can be hard to find a right way to tip it to remove the blade. I just change the oil and sharpen the blade at the same time on that old Toro of mine. To clean the deck I pick it up and stand it at an angle on the front wheels up against my truck wheel.

Parkmower

Threads
Always tip so the carb is up.

polarisgold

Threads
OK guys, first post, I'll do my best to keep this short and sweet but there is a lot to cover.

I have 1/2 acre, lots of trees, low lying branches (for privacy), some small but somewhat steep hills.
My mother bought a 21" I think 4.5 horse Tecumseh powered Toro from 87 or 89, I cannot remember, bagger/recycler mower. Aluminum deck, non power driven.

I've had very little problem with it honestly, threw some royal purple in it, and it had been running better than ever, smoke was reducing and was running great all last season, it's seen a TON of hours.

The engine brake no longer really works, carb will no longer allow it to stay running, the mower is aging. Handle is super loose and cannot be tightened.

My wife and I have a TON of projects, this is our second year in our first home and there honestly is so many holes to fill money wise, I don't want to spend much more than $300 on a mower.

Problem is this. Do I fix this motor, or what do you guys suggest that I do?

Due to the terrain of the yard/house with branches etc, I really don't want a self propelled mower. I'm frequently having to shimmy the mower to get into spaces to mow, and often have to walk backwards with it to get out of heavy brush areas etc...

I've been doing research on all sorts of mowers, Troy-Bilt, Toro blah blah blah.

Seems like there is almost nothing I can find that will fit my needs.

I'm very concerned about reliability number 1, I'm SURE you guys of all people would know about all of my concerns. Honda belt driven cam, plastic parts on camshaft. Chinese carbs, poorly engineered plastic pieces in critical areas etc etc etc... List goes on and on.

Then we have an American car syndrome, where we keep adding stupid weighty features, requiring more power, more gas, and fancy drive systems because they cannot be pushed anymore... I mean everything weighs so much!

What should I do?

I spent $325 on a riding mower last season and this season it breaks every time I try to use the stupid thing. Just spent countless hours and way too much money repairing the mower deck and now it want cut......blast!

Spend a grand and get a good mower or you might regret it!!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'd say take it to a shop you trust and see what they have to say. They might even have some good used units available that would fit your needs.