Honda HRR216 tda TRANSMISSION PULLEY

hamopr8r

Forum Newbie
Threads
I suspect the pulley is rotating on the top transmission shaft because slow drive works for a minute or two then begins to slip. In the faster drive, the mower won't pull at all. The shaft is warm at the top of the pulley indicating friction heat. Is there a pin or key that locks the pulley or is there is a nut needing tightening at top of tranny shaft? Belt is OK, the tranny selector is fully on when the drive lever is closed. mower about 4 years old.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suspect the pulley is rotating on the top transmission shaft because slow drive works for a minute or two then begins to slip. In the faster drive, the mower won't pull at all. The shaft is warm at the top of the pulley indicating friction heat. Is there a pin or key that locks the pulley or is there is a nut needing tightening at top of tranny shaft? Belt is OK, the tranny selector is fully on when the drive lever is closed. mower about 4 years old.

On the back edge of the mower deck is a serial number in the form MXXX-1234567. Get me that number and I can look up service info and details about the pulley.

hamopr8r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Robert. Model is MZCG-7084782.
I did some tinkering today and found on the pulley wheel on the top shaft of the transmission has a hole on the inner circumference. Using a 1/8 inch hex driver I found the hole goes all the way into the shaft. I tried a larger hex but it would not seat on anything. So it seems either a set screw is missing, I need a special hex to fit a hollow hex nut in the pulley wheel, or there should be a pin that is inserted to lock the pulley wheel to the shaft. Maybe your manuals will indicate which. I suspect a lot of folks who think they need a tranny because of no wheel drive are having this same problem which appears easy to fix if you can tell me what is needed, a hex nut or small pin.

Another discovery is if taking wheels off this mower be sure to insert the "clicker" gear so both wheels click when spinning each wheel forward. I had one side on backwards making the clicking noise when the wheel spun backwards and it would've given me fits.
Jim

Last edited:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's a spring pin that goes through the side of the pulley and a hole in the input shaft. You'll need a suitable punch of the right length to drive it all the way through the hole on the input shaft so the pulley can be lifted off. It may be the pin has just worked its way out of the hole and needs to be driven back in a bit?

You are 100% correct about the ratchets. Both wheels should "click" when rolled forward.

Here's a shot from the shop manual. Note the hole that is cross-drilled through the pulley goes all the way through, and there's a matching hole in the input shaft.

Attachments

• hrr216tda transmission.jpg
    hrr216tda transmission.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 65

hamopr8r

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert, that photo did the trick. I put a small roofing nail with the head ground down and taped it in the pulley wheel. I made sure it extended through the shaft which was a hint the wheel was not slipping. Same 'o results with the mower quickly losing drive. Guess my hopes were too high unless there is a way to shove the shaft against the gears from the top of the transmission. Even then, the teeth may be worn down too much. Sure appreciate the assistance though. From what I've read, there is no way to buy gears for the transmission. Looks like an expense coming up.
Jim

nobot

Threads
What??? I thought the wheels were supposed to spin freely BACKWARDS!

I thought that was the purpose of the ratchet mechanism on the pinion gears - to allow the operator to pull the mower backwards.

nobot

Threads
Nope, my bad. The wheels are supposed to ratchet when turning in the FORWARD direction. My apologies, Robert. I somehow got that simple fact wrong, and it caused me a lot of head scratching. I'm good repairing stuff - an engineer, too. That's what really makes this humbling. I'm glad I got my facts straight, though - I can mow again!!! lol