Carburetor problem? 25 hp Kawasaki

gregjo1948

Threads
That is the fuel pump. There should be another line(hose-tube) that goes into one of the valve covers. When the piston goes down, it pulls a suction on that hose going to the fuel pump and draws the gas from the tank to the carb. If you pull the gas line loose from the carb and crank the engine over, gas should squirt from the line. If not, check the line going to the valve cover for cracks, splits, or holes.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Lawn mower diagnosis 101.
Get an in line spark tester or better still a colortune and fit it
Get a can of starter fluid.
Remove air filter, give the mower a shot and try to start it.
If it starts but will only continue running is you keep giving it short shots of starter fluid the you have a fuel problem

If the colortune / spark tester does not flash or stops flashing before the engine starts to die, you have an ignition problem.

If you have a fuel problem the remove the float chamber and replace the cut off solenoid with a bolt/.
Engine runs OK the the solenoid or power supply to it is bad.

If the solenoid checks out OK the get a temporary fuel tank ( pinch it off your push mower )
Hook it directly to your carb and hold it as high as you can above the mower to give you the best head pressure.
Runs OK then you have a fuel pump / fuel line problem
No difference then you have a carb / manifold / valve problem.

Hook up the original fuel line again , start the engine & keep it running with short shots of starter fluid.
With a TRIGGER bottle of water/ Wd40 etc liberally spray all around the intake manifold.
Engine speed changes = air leak

Finally check the governor by starting the engine then hold the throttle open by moving the governor lever with your finger.
Works fine if you hold the lever open = governor problem

GA Fan

Forum Newbie
Threads
i had the exact same problem with my 25hp kowasaki. i would mow for half an hour fine then it would quit. it would restart with the choke pulled half way out but run rough. local mecanics were convinced it was a fuel problem. after cleaning the carb, eliminating ethenol, changing plugs, replacing fuel filter and pump, turns out the problem was an ignition coil. it would break down when it got hot. i replaced both at a cost of $95 and a couple hours. hope this saves you the agrivation i went though.

Hello, I have an Exmark LZS801KA604 that is doing the same exact thing. I can cut grass for about 30-40 minutes and it begins to sputter like it is running out of fuel and quits. It will not crank back immediately unless I use the choke and it will crank up and run for about another 10 mins and keeps doing the same thing over and over. Did replacing the ignition coil fix your problem? Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hello, I have an Exmark LZS801KA604 that is doing the same exact thing. I can cut grass for about 30-40 minutes and it begins to sputter like it is running out of fuel and quits. It will not crank back immediately unless I use the choke and it will crank up and run for about another 10 mins and keeps doing the same thing over and over. Did replacing the ignition coil fix your problem? Thanks

Please read the previous post and do the tests.
Also have a little think
The coils are part of the ignition system
The choke is part of the fuel system

If you can only restart by manipulating the fuel system what are the chances that your problem will be in the ignition ?

If I were a gambling man I would put my money on a plug forming in the fuel tank / tanks / switch if you have 2 tanks
But I am not so I go through the tests in the previous post because I am adversr to spending money on replacing parts that are not broken.

GA Fan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please read the previous post and do the tests.
Also have a little think
The coils are part of the ignition system
The choke is part of the fuel system

If you can only restart by manipulating the fuel system what are the chances that your problem will be in the ignition ?

If I were a gambling man I would put my money on a plug forming in the fuel tank / tanks / switch if you have 2 tanks
But I am not so I go through the tests in the previous post because I am adversr to spending money on replacing parts that are not broken.

Mine only has 1 tank. I'm aware the coil is part of ignition but it's funny because the prior post lists the same exact issues mine is having and it turned out to be a coil. It's has been to the shop twice without the issue being identified or repaired.