Ferris Charging Sytem

jays35

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am having problems with my mower not charging. Replace battery with new...cranked for a few weeks then battery died. Took back to store and they checked it out and recharged it. Started again for a few weeks then back to jump starting. Fuse for charging system is good. I don't have a wiring diagram to follow circuit. Any one have a wiring diagram that they want to share? Any other ideas to check?

Thanks

Dave

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a VOM I would start the engine and take a voltage reading across the battery at half throttle. You should have 13.5-14.5V. If you are below that you will have to look at the type of charging system you have. What brand and model number engine do you have?

jays35

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am getting about 12.5 maybe. Did not have my digital meter, but looks like 12.5.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is low. Was the battery recently charged? Would you check it after your next mowing, without recharging. If it is lower the second time you have a problem in the charging system or a short which is discharging the battery. From your description it is hard to tell which way to go. Again model and engine numbers please.

jays35

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is low. Was the battery recently charged? Would you check it after your next mowing, without recharging. If it is lower the second time you have a problem in the charging system or a short which is discharging the battery. From your description it is hard to tell which way to go. Again model and engine numbers please.

No it was not charged. I had to jump start it. I have to mow tomorrow and I will check after mowing. Thanks for your help!

wildbill

Threads
The motor should be putting out between 13.8 and 14.5 volts to the battery when at normal running speed, the motor speed you use when mowing, and that would be around 3300 to 3500 rpm. Thats with a regulated system. If its an unregulated system then it might hit the 14.5 to 15 volt range at those rpm's. But, if you are only getting 12+ volts to the battery at operating speed, you could have a faulty rectifier/regulator....if its a regulated system. Look on line at some utube videos. Just type in 'how to check lawn mower charging system' and there will be a large amount of "gurus" out there showing their skills.

wildbill

Threads
Oh, one more thing: The batteries only have a certain amount of cycles they can go through before they hit the graveyard and will no longer hold a charge. A cycle is when they go from being charged, to a dead state, and are recharged back to 100%. The less expensive batteries that have 300 cca are a 1-2 season units. Spend the extra dime and get a battery that has at least 365 cca and you will be a happy camper.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please give us engine numbers if you want our help. We have no idea what type of system we're trying to help you with.