Recommendations Please for a POWERFUL walk behind??

sparks325

Threads
Hello All,
I am in need of a recommendation for a walk behind mower. My better half loves to cut the grass (I know how fortunate can a guy get) I do the laundry in return (I知 in the basement working anyway..so it works well) Here痴 the catch, we both work 40 hrs during the week and the weekend is the only time for lawn cutting. Last season in Ohio we had a real wet summer and the lawn was growing faster than she could cut it. I hopped up the Toro as best as I could.
Mounted an extra blade 90 degrees to the first, unhooked the governor and replaced it with a manual speed control and ran 60 weight oil to attempt to protect it from burning up. It sort of did the job for a while. It was only a matter of time before something gave. This past weekend it blew a ring and I figure it is time to get her something better. Is there a walk behind that will cut 6 inches of grass wet? This is the worst condition that it will meet. I know commercial lawn care professionals cut in any weather. Any ideas would be appreciated. I壇 like to keep the size to a 21 inch or so for storage purposes.

sparks325

Threads
I forgot to mention. I have less than an acre. I would prefer electric start

Parkmower

Threads
No surprise something had to give after your " custom mods"

sparks325

Threads
It ran an entire season with the mods.:cool: I was determined to get through that stuff.
it had a nice helicopter like sound. :rolleyes:

Parkmower

Threads
I'd say look for the largest engine pushmower you can find. Maybe commercial line stuff. One thing for sure your gonna need spend some cash.

sparks325

Threads
I was looking a the Exmark 21 series. Only 6Hp as far as I can tell. :thumbdown:

txzrider

Threads
is price and issue? do you bag or mulch? I guess your comment about neding to stay at 21" width means a small ztr is out of the question. I think you have to go commercial to get the kind of power you may need, for whats its worth my 15 y/o snapper with a 6 hp engine and 21" deck(frp 216012) with do it ... although it was built back when 6hp meant something. It does matter if you bag, mulch or discharge. I doubt mine can mulch wet 6inch grass as well as it bagged it or discharged it. Snapper does now have the p21875 with electric start and 8.5 pounds of torque. It is pricey tho'

sparks325

Threads
We mulch...I guess I'm good to about $1K. I'm serious on the power need.
Since my wife does the cutting......if she's happy.....I'm happy. Thanks for the reply!
I need to get one soon. I want to have information before I talk to the sales person.

txzrider

Threads
See my solution was a small zt riding mower, obviously wont work for you. I bet the largest you can get with a 21 in deck is prob 8hp or whatever they call 8hp these days. that snapper I mentioned with 8.5 torque is prob the equiv. I saw a recommendation from someone where they suggested you ask the dealer what the pros were buying. Thats prob a place to start. However it seems like they would not do what your doing... they would cut more often or get a bigger deck. I bet most of the commercial 21 inch mowers do not have electric start...that is more a residential feature. The Toro timemaster has a 30 in deck with a 8.75 gross torque motor. They claim it can fit is the same space as a std mower for storage. It does have an electric start option. You can always hit craigslist for a real commercial walkbehind with a fabricated deck and all the power you will need.

jimrs

Threads
If your trying to cut 6" wet grass your never going to find a lawnmower to do that. A 20 hp might do in on a 21" deck but it will need to be able to discharge the cut grass and not in a bag. Sorry but what you ask is not available at this time.