Mower runs fine, dies or bogs down when PTO is engaged

yetifed

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower runs fine, dies or bogs down when PTO is engaged
This is my first Lazer, it has been running fine lately then all of the sudden when the PTO is engaged the motor bogs down and dies. I have tried cleaning the carb and several other things. Anyone have a suggestion where to go from here?

sidenote, i bought this mower from a friend who sold it for this reason because he had 2.

BobbyR

Threads
Check to see that the deck belt is not binding somewhere. Also one of the spindle bearings could be freezing up causing the blades to be difficult for the engine to turn. To check, be sure you've got enough slack in the deck belt, then try to turn the spindle pulleys and see if they all turn freely. Check the belt tracking to see that it's not in a bind somewhere.

ErnieD

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check the fuel shut off solenoid in the carb fuel bowl.

Ernie

yetifed

Forum Newbie
Threads
all pulleys rotate fine with no binding issues, also belt tracks correctly.blades seem to turn freely.

yetifed

Forum Newbie
Threads
i will try and test that solenoid tomorrow, thx

yetifed

Forum Newbie
Threads
BTW, thanks guys for the input.....Curious. Can i test the electric pto clutch and see if that is the issue. Just curious on a way to the test it.

kev290

Threads
check your blade spindles see if you can move them by hand to see if they move easy if not bearings are gone

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
BTW, thanks guys for the input.....Curious. Can i test the electric pto clutch and see if that is the issue. Just curious on a way to the test it.
With a pair of jumper wires around 5 A wire,
No need to worry about polarity but if it has a T shaped plug the top of the T is generally wired +.
Naturally disconnect the entire unit,
Don;t bother to put a meter on the other side of the plug unless there is some one in the seat

JD is best

Threads
Do you have sufficient spark?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If load is the problem does it now hesitate on hills without PTO? If load is the problem it may be an engine power problem-just enough to drive on flats, not enough to engage clutch or pull hill. Does one cyl cut out? Do basic engine checks, compression etc. Check plug color for brown tinge of adequate carb enrichment on demand. Just ideas.