Walk behind Honda HRM 215 - no self propelling

Paulnkc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, that particular serial number has no outstanding bulletins or issues. So, let's start with the basics; here's the troubleshooting chart from the shop manual, and associated procedures (see attached images). My money is on a cable issue of some kind...

While it's unlikely (unless there are signs of leakage) the hydrostatic fluid level is probably okay. It may have ingested some water, but that's rare. You do have to fully remove the transmission to get to the location where the fluid level can be checked/filled (sorry). :mad:

Does anyone know how to replace the drive clutch cable. Mine snapped today. Harmony HRM 215 Serial # MZBB 6442035 KD

Thanks

Paul

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does anyone know how to replace the drive clutch cable. Mine snapped today. Harmony HRM 215 Serial # MZBB 6442035 KD

Thanks

Paul

Paul, is your HRM215 gear-transmission or hydrostatic-transmission model? Do you have a yellow button for the blade clutch on the handlebar?

I get you some drawings that will help.

fillingr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Robert. I just joined the forum and have been reading through the very helpful advice and information you've provided to a number of Honda lawnmower owners. Thank you for doing that--I've never seen a manufacturer rep do that before, and it once again shows what a great company Honda is!

Anyway, I have an approximately 17-year old HRM215 mower (the 2-speed self propelled with the plastic deck and blade-brake clutch, VIN #MZBB-6351050) that has served me very well over the years Yesterday, it would not self-propel when I engaged the drive lever. I attempted to cut the grass by pushing it by hand (not fun BTW!), but after a short while I noticed a burning smell, and smoke started coming from the mower, so I shut it down and checked underneath. The belt that drives the transmission pulley had apparently come off (or broken) and melted. I picked up a new belt today, but I could use a bit of help on the procedure for replacing it. Is there any chance you could post or send me the instructions and/or drawings for how to replace the belt on my model?

Thanks again!

Pete

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hello Robert. I just joined the forum and have been reading through the very helpful advice and information you've provided to a number of Honda lawnmower owners. Thank you for doing that--I've never seen a manufacturer rep do that before, and it once again shows what a great company Honda is!

Anyway, I have an approximately 17-year old HRM215 mower (the 2-speed self propelled with the plastic deck and blade-brake clutch, VIN #MZBB-6351050) that has served me very well over the years Yesterday, it would not self-propel when I engaged the drive lever. I attempted to cut the grass by pushing it by hand (not fun BTW!), but after a short while I noticed a burning smell, and smoke started coming from the mower, so I shut it down and checked underneath. The belt that drives the transmission pulley had apparently come off (or broken) and melted. I picked up a new belt today, but I could use a bit of help on the procedure for replacing it. Is there any chance you could post or send me the instructions and/or drawings for how to replace the belt on my model?

Thanks again!

Pete

Hi Pete:

Does your mower have a yellow button / black lever to engage the blades? If so, it has a Roto-Stop device that must be removed to install a new belt. This is a pretty detailed procedure that entails almost a dozen pages in the shop manual. I would strongly recommend you consider (a) taking the mower to a dealer for this service) or (b) purchasing a printed shop manual from Honda for all the details.

You can find a local dealer using this link: Find A Honda Dealer

You can purchase a shop manual using either of these links:
Honda Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Shop Manuals on Amazon

fillingr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Robert,

Thanks for the quick reply. My mower does have the Robo-Stop yellow button and black handle. I was hoping the belt replacement instructions were a "one-pager," but it sounds like the Robo-Stop makes it much more complicated. Taking that off does seem like a daunting task, but my father is willing to tackle it (he can fix pretty much anything, unlike me!). I will look into purchasing a shop manual to help him out. I appreciate the advice.

Pete