Walk behind Honda HRM 215 - no self propelling

flyweed

Threads
Hey all, just bought a used Honda Harmony HRM215 mower (plastic deck, 5.5hp engine)

Anyway..the thing RUNS like a top..first pull, quiet, smooth running....and I got it for a song ($75)

Anyway..the self propel feature doesn't work. with the mower up on blocks, I put the shift lever up on high speed, and pulled the clutch engage bar up and nothing happens.

Was hoping someone can trouble shoot this for me a bit to help me get it up and running again. The transmission itself is a diecast type of setup, and the gears inside I guess are hardened steel according to another forum, so I am assuming the the transmission is pretty robust on these.

Anyway...any help, tips, trick would be great. Thanks for your time.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
On the back top edge of the mower deck is a serial number, in the form of MXXX-1234567. Please get me that number, and I can look up some troubleshooting information for you.

Generally, it's often a cable that has been damaged or out of adjustment. Sometimes it can be the transmission itself, or maybe the belt has broken or slipped off.

When inspecting under the mower, always tip it so the air cleaner is UP; this prevents oil from fowling the air filter element(s) and keeps fuel in the tank, not dribbling onto the ground.

-Robert@Honda

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

flyweed

Threads
Thanks for your reply

I checked the mower out and here is the information off of it.

HRM215-GK and then another sticker on it says: MZBB - 6352430

one guy from another site told me to check the belt, so I reached up above the blades, and it felt like there was decent tension and no play with the belt.

Dan

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay, that particular serial number has no outstanding bulletins or issues. So, let's start with the basics; here's the troubleshooting chart from the shop manual, and associated procedures (see attached images). My money is on a cable issue of some kind...

While it's unlikely (unless there are signs of leakage) the hydrostatic fluid level is probably okay. It may have ingested some water, but that's rare. You do have to fully remove the transmission to get to the location where the fluid level can be checked/filled (sorry). :mad:

Attachments

• drive clutch cable.jpg
    drive clutch cable.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 387
  • hst removal belt fluid inspection.jpg
    hst removal belt fluid inspection.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 347
  • rear axle pawls pinions.jpg
    rear axle pawls pinions.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 325
  • troubleshooting chart.jpg
    troubleshooting chart.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 291

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
FYI, here's what we have on file for that unit, for the trivia-inclined; if you are not Mr. Leo, then our friends with the United States Consumer Product Safety Comission kindly request this record be updated with your contact information, in the highly unlikely event there's ever a safety recall on this model, if you don't mind sharing, just send me your name and address in a private message. you will never get any spam or junk mail from Honda, period.

MODEL-SERIAL NUMBER (PIN).......................: MZBB - 6352430
INVOICED DEALER.................................: 307282
INVOICE DATE....................................: 04/13/98
DATE OF PURCHASE................................: 07/06/1998
SELLING DEALER..................................: 307282
ENGINE NUMBER...................................: 7188523
MODEL ID .......................................: HRM215K2HX
WARRANTY TERM...................................: NON-COMMERCIAL
DISTRIBUTORS LIMITED WARRANTY END DATE..........: 07/14/2000
DISTRIBUTORS LIMITED WARRANTY EXTENSION END DATE:
DISTRIBUTORS LIMITED WARRANTY CANCEL DATE.......: REASON:
EMISSIONS WARRANTY END DATE*....................: POLICY NOT SETUP
EMISSIONS WARRANTY EXTENSION END DATE*..........:

CURRENT OWNER'S NAME..: ****** LEO
CURRENT OWNER'S ADDR..: *******, LA CRESANT, MN 55947

REPAIR HISTORY:
NO REPAIR FOUND

CAMPAIGN NOT REPORTED AS COMPLETED:
NO OPEN CAMPAIGNS FOR THIS UNIT

flyweed

Threads
Robert

I appreciate ALL of the above info..that will help ALOT! Now, if I do want to remove the transmission and check/refill the fluid level.....do you have photos and/or instructions on the removal of the transmission from the mower frame? That would be helpful as well

Again, thank you very much

Dan

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dan, here's the procedure:

Attachments

• hrm hrb 215 k2 hst removal and install 1 of 2.jpg
    hrm hrb 215 k2 hst removal and install 1 of 2.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 321
  • hrm hrb 215 k2 hst removal and install 2 of 2.jpg
    hrm hrb 215 k2 hst removal and install 2 of 2.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 217

flyweed

Threads
Robert

thank you for those procedures....looks like I may be having to drop the transmission anyway.......today I got under the mower...retensioned the clutch cable to specs., still no go..checked the belt...belt is in good condition, under tension nicely and around both the drive and driven pulleys. I started it up and both drive and transmission pulleys ARE spinning. BUT, no movement within the axle....So I am examining the transmission housing..everything on the outside looks to be in good shape....EXCEPT....on the short axle side, I notice liquid seeping out around the axle and dripping. If I have hydro fluid dripping out around the axle, does that mean the transmission is SHOT???

I thought maybe since the driven pulley IS spinning, maybe the key worked it's way out and the pulley is just spinning freely on the shaft, could this be possible at all???

Thanks again
Dan

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Dan:

The leak is a real tell-tale, but just a leak, not that the entire tranny is shot. My engineer and tech guys tell me it sure sounds like one or more of the axle seals has failed. When you pull the tranny, how much fluid is left will confirm this. Parts are available (see attached) but be sure to only work on the tranny in a super-clean environment. Any small specks, sawdust, etc. can wreak havoc.

Let me know your ZIP code if you need a list of dealers in your area. FYI, there are many dealers who sell parts online, for example, www.boats.net is pretty good. Finally, because I work for Honda, and because actual retail prices are set only by the selling dealer, I can only show "list" prices here.

Attachments

• hrm hrm 215 hx k2 transmission parts list & MSRP prices.jpg
    hrm hrm 215 hx k2 transmission parts list & MSRP prices.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 188

flyweed

Threads
Robert

Yeah, the left seal (on the short axle) is leaking pretty badly..So would a simple leak make the transmission NOT work at all?

My zip code is 54601 I guess I NEED some parts!! :rolleyes:

Dan