Walk behind Honda HRM 215 - no self propelling

flyweed

Threads
So if that "list" is actual list price, have I not seen the full transmission assembly any cheaper than $293? I've checked out a couple websites now that both sell the full transmission for that exact price. OUCH! :thumbdown:

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Robert

Yeah, the left seal (on the short axle) is leaking pretty badly..So would a simple leak make the transmission NOT work at all?

My zip code is 54601 I guess I NEED some parts!! :rolleyes:

Dan

If enough hydrostatic fluid leaks out, then yes, the transmission will not work. It's the fluid that is mechanically pumped into a motor that causes the axle to spin, so not enough fluid = no go.

Honda sells all parts to all dealers at the same, wholesale price. There are some allowances and promotions now and then, but for the most part (pardon the pun) the list prices are a reflection of a standard markup percentage that provides a reasonable profit for the dealer.

$300 is a lot for a transmission, but you may be able to either repair it yourself or a good quality service shop / dealer can do the job for you. It may be a lot less to have it professionally repaired, so you may wish to get some quotes.

While doing open-heart surgery on an HST transmission isn't for the faint of heart, it's not a difficult job if you have reasonable mechanical skills. Just keep the work area spotless and operating-room clean at all times. NEVER use any fluid other than genuine Honda Hydrostatic Fluid. Trust me on that one!

Lastly, a dealer may have a good working donor transmission for less than a new one. Doesn't hurt to ask. ebay or craigslist might turn up an otherwise dead mower with a good tranny for well under $300 too...

For your ZIP code, here are the dealers closest to you:

Farm & Fleet Of Lacrosse #27
9438 U. S. Hwy 16
Onalaska, WI 54650
(608) 781-3130

Two Brothers Powersports
905 Oak Ave S
Onalaska, WI 54650-3255
(608) 781-3360

Frontier Ag & Turf
W3807 County Road C
West Salem, WI 54669-9565
(608) 786-1360

Frontier Ag & Turf
53050 U. S. Hwy 14
Westby, WI 54667
(608) 634-3141

Mills Fleet Farm
920 E Highway 61
Winona, MN 55987-5354
(507) 454-5124

flyweed

Threads
Hi Robert

Thanks again for all of the useful info. Do you think you could give me a "ballpark" figure on what you think it would cost to REPAIR my transmission, if I had it done at a service center? I could probably do it myself, as I am pretty handy..but right now with my work schedule, I just don't know when I'd have the time to actually sit down, remove the transmission, pull it apart, repair it, then put it back in.

Thanks
Dan

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Robert

Thanks again for all of the useful info. Do you think you could give me a "ballpark" figure on what you think it would cost to REPAIR my transmission, if I had it done at a service center? I could probably do it myself, as I am pretty handy..but right now with my work schedule, I just don't know when I'd have the time to actually sit down, remove the transmission, pull it apart, repair it, then put it back in.

Thanks
Dan

when I get back in the office, I can look up some flat-rate times for a few HST repairs. you can use these times the hourly labor rate to get a ballpark figure. Parts, shop supplies, etc. changes vary with each dealer. A good tech will tell you nothing is absolute until the case is open and all the parts inspected; some can be reused, others replaced.

flyweed

Threads
great...I appreciate your help. Look forward to hearing back from you.

Dan

flyweed

Threads
Robert...I think I am going to tackle this job and see how it goes. Hopefully it's just replacing the outer axle fittings that seal the ends of the transmission where it's leaking, and a refill of Hydraulic fluid. I am keeping my fingers crossed

I've ready over the steps so many times, I think I can do it in my sleep.....but I HAVE ONE ?....what is the rear scroll fitting? Is that the part under the deck that covers the drive belt, and rear of the deck??

Thanks
Dan

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Okay, the current Honda Flat-Rate manual shows a transmission remove & replace procedure should take an experienced tech 0.8 hours. This is the amount of time Honda will pay for when a shop is doing warranty work. To completely rebuild a transmission clocks in at 1.8 hours of time. Again, these numbers are for experienced techs who've worked on these mowers before, and know the most efficient way to complete a repair.

CanCutIt

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an old (20 years old, and still running!) HR215 HXA, and while the hydrostatic trans still drives the mower, it has slowed down significantly over the years. Do the diagrams in this post also apply to the HR215 HXA, at least as far as the trans goes?

If so, I plan to do the cable adjustment, followed by inspecting the belt, and have a look "under the hood".

I think this mower will only die when the engine finally stops generating compression some day...
I would then like to purchase a Honda of similar quality, is one available these days?

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have an old (20 years old, and still running!) HR215 HXA, and while the hydrostatic trans still drives the mower, it has slowed down significantly over the years. Do the diagrams in this post also apply to the HR215 HXA, at least as far as the trans goes?

Just replied to your PM; check it and get me the serial number so I can make sure you get the right materials.

NobleLawn&Landscape

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know this thread is about a year old and my comments are overdue, but I wanted to hopefully help someone out in the future. The trannys on the Honda 215s seem to have a lot of problems. Do a google search on Honda HRM215 transmission and you'll see LOTS of people are having the same or similar problems. Anyways, there's a guy named Eddie Carrera who has some videos on hubpages explaining the issue and a possible fix. Connected to your tranny is a "key" called the clutch key, I believe, and over time it wears down and won't provide enough tension to fully engage the gears. You can pick up the part for about $3 at a Honda dealer or online. Or, as Eddie suggests, you can make a shim to close the gap and possibly fix the problem. I'm in the process of fixing mine right now for the upcoming mowing season. Taking the tranny out is about a 3 hr process if you've never done it before. IMO, a $3 fix is MUCH better and worth the 3-5 hrs of repair. Just about any service shop will tell you you need to replace the tranny (around $400 for parts and labor). Whether or not they know what the real problem is, I don't know, but I'm sure they can make a lot more replacing it than fixing it. Can't hurt to try right?!