Black & Decker Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

nerwin49

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Black & Decker Owner Check-In --- Read This First!
Hello, I am new to this forum. I have a B&D CM1836, and I need to change the battery. But the closest service center is 150 miles away! Can anyone tell me if I can change the battery myself? I am ready to take the cover off and see what's inside ... but if you have done this before, please let me know if you have any helpful hints.

YuriS3

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Black & Decker mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower has a name :laughing:). Maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Black & Decker owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Black & Decker mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Black & Decker stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

I bought my CMM 1200 some years ago, it has been doing fine till now. When my battery seemed weak, I found it was the fault of the early model charger. Having replaced it, the battery life was much improved until the mower developed a short and melted it's plastic key. Can't imagine going back to a gas powered mower. YuriS3

jeffreydbrown

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, all.

I just picked up my first CMM1200 at a yard sale...without a charger. After turning the internet upside-down looking for the "right" charger to buy, I've decided to try a generic trickle charger/maintainer and optionally add some battery health instrumentation (volt/ammeter) to the mower itself. I'm sure I am not the first person to try this, so I would appreciate any advice!

Filek

Threads
Hello, all.

I just picked up my first CMM1200 at a yard sale...without a charger. After turning the internet upside-down looking for the "right" charger to buy, I've decided to try a generic trickle charger/maintainer and optionally add some battery health instrumentation (volt/ammeter) to the mower itself. I'm sure I am not the first person to try this, so I would appreciate any advice!

A trickle charger might be troublesome as I think that the only way to connect it to the battery would be by taking off the top of the lawnmower which is easy, but a bit of a pain.

Adding a voltmeter and ammeter can be done and if you go to thread that describes how I built and added a lithium battery to the CMM1200, I think there are pictures of voltmeter and ammeter. I have seen other cmm1200 with voltmeters and ammeters. They are handy to help prevent over discharge and abuse of your battery.

If you haven’t already bought a trickle charger, I might still have a charger for my CMM1200. It’s yours if you pay shipping, or you live close and shipping’s not much. Let me know if you want me to go and have a look to see if I still have it.

Brian

slaghead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello I am new to the forum. I have an 15 yr old simplicity broadmoore with a16 hp v-twin Briggs.It has been very reliable till now. The starter clicks and hums, it won't crank the engine.Battery and starter test out good.

Scandoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I could do that in the next few days. I do have a few pics of the process, but as I was building the battery, I wasn't thinking of putting a write up anywhere so I didn't do a great job of documenting. I guess the best way to do it would be to start a new thread?

The best thing is that there are more of the batteries available that I used so others could copy my build and enjoy a supercharged electric lawnmower as well.

I don't think I put the specs in my first write up, but the battery is 24 volt (25.2 fully charged) and 30 amp hour so it has much more capcity than the original. The battery can supply up to 120 amps continuously and even more for a few seconds. It is rare that the mower calls for more than 30 amos, but I have seen the amp meter hit 66 a few times (the poor motor!)

So are you able to use the same charger?

Scandoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought my CMM 1200 some years ago, it has been doing fine till now. When my battery seemed weak, I found it was the fault of the early model charger. Having replaced it, the battery life was much improved until the mower developed a short and melted it's plastic key. Can't imagine going back to a gas powered mower. YuriS3

Same here! Bought the 'new' charger 2 years ago (It's no longer available!)
And just had that same problem with the 'key' 2 days ago!
I ended up taking that clam-shell body of the dead-man switch apart to get at the 'terminal box': the little bar on the 'key' had arced with the 'contact' inside, and burned through it. It's really not made of an adequate material for that purpose!
I was able to clean things up, and shim up the remaining bit of the 'contact', and get it running, but now looking into options...that terminal box is no longer available (although the plastic box it fine); and I don't know if it had come with any metal contacts, anyway.

I am thinking of just buying a switch from electronics distributor, and pulling out that plastic mounting box to make room for it: Just need to find something that fits into ~ 1 cubic inch inside!

What did you do?

Thanks!

Filek

Threads
So are you able to use the same charger?

No, I can’t use the same charger. The lithium battery requires that each individual cell be monitored while being charged and at some point during the charge process the voltage of all cells should be balanced with each other as well so a new charger had to be purchased.

But I can control the speed that the battery is charged, so, if in a hurry I can crank it and charge the battery in 2.5 hours vs overnight with the old charger.

ydpplqbd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all:

I am new to the forum. I purchased a used/junk Black & Decker CMM1200 cordless mower recently. I purchased the BD electric mower for cleanup of lawn around fruit trees, along borders and around street lights. This is my first cordless electric mower. I took the mower apart today to try and understand why it was not working. This is a great site.