Buying Advice 2007 Kubota ZD 331

nwagner23

Threads
I need some feedback on the 2007 Kubota ZD 331. I've only researched it a little bit but so far it seems like they overheat and are pretty heavy. If im mowing mostly residential lawns would I be better off with a lighter mower?

slc10844

Threads
I have a friend who purchased a ZD331 last year for his lawn maintenance company. He has not had any problems with overheating. Like any liquid cooled piece of equipment you have to keep the radiator free of grass clippings and dirt. I have a ZD326 and clean the radiator after every use. IMO the ZD331 is a heavy machine best used in open areas and fields. I would recommend a lighter unit for residential lawns.

Happyman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have heard that the 2007 ZD's had some overheating and muffler manifold problems, but all of that has been fixed in the newer ZD models. However, still a good idea to clean out the radiator screen and blow off the engine after each use. The diesel engines generate a lot of heat and grass clippings can really hurt the cooling.

nwagner23

Threads
What mower would you recommend for residential lawns that are about an acre?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you like Kubota, take a look at the ZD221. You can get it in 54" or 60" decks and they are about 400 pounds lighter.

nwagner23

Threads
I'm not really set on any one brand. I also like exmark and ferris. I have heard good thing about ferris since they have the suspension for rough ground.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both the Farris and Exmark are good manufactures. But, don't think they would meet your needs if you are mowing small residential lawns. They are about the same as the Kubota 331. You have a tough decision, and must decide whether to go with a light or heavy unit. Give the type of conditions you mow in and maybe we can help.

nwagner23

Threads
The yards I mow are about an acre with some bumps. Some of them have pretty gentle slopes. I would prefer to get a zero turn but I'm open to other options.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like you are in between a small to medium size z-turn or a larger tractor. My advise to you would be to go to the dealers in your area and give everyone that interests you a try. Stick to the name brands. If two come out about the same looking at the dealership will be the deal breaker. Remember, you will need service and parts down the road. If you get down to specific units and want our opinion, post exact model numbers with accessories, and we can explain differences.