New SCAG Freedom Z Fuel Gauge

Billblake

Threads
I just bought this Freedom Z about a week ago & when they delivered it ,the fuel gauge read empty....so....I went ahead & put in 4 gal. a few days latter. ....Well it still reads empty. It is a long story...... ,but.... I will not nor do I want to take it back to the folks who sold it to me for any kind of repair... I do not TRUST them at all! I have heard of some very bad horror stories about this place.....of course I was told all this after I bought the mower! How hard is it to change out one of these fuel gauges on a Freedom Z?:frown:

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
The fuel gauge is mechanical and sits in a grommet in the top of the fuel tank. It has a float that is guided to stay in correct vertical orientation. There is a twisted metal strip passing down thru the center of the float. This metal strip is directly connected to the gauge needle and as the float moves up or down it turns the gauge needle to indicate the fuel level.
The fuel gauge assembly can be removed from the tank by carefully prying it out of the grommet.
You can then move the float to see if it moves the gauge needle.
The float may just be stuck at the bottom of its travel or it may be missing.
Reinstalling the gauge assembly may require some lubrication of the grommet and I recommend using engine oil. Be careful to not brake the clear top of the gauge.

Billblake

Threads
Ok.....please bare with me......Is the grommet the rubber ring insert ?......If I think I understand right, the gauge is pried out of the rubber ring?....or does the rubber ring (grommet) come out too? I'm sorry for being so ignorant ......but I just do not know.....but I'm learning!