Craftsman rider burns prime then stalls

HWT

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a craftsman 19.5HP rider that is 12 year old. It started surging the last two years and would backfire when shut off. Otherwise ran fine. This season it will not run. It starts when I prime with starting fluid, or pour gas in carb, but will not stay running on fuel from tank. I rebuilt the carb with a carb kit from sears, but still the same results. I disconnected the gas line at the fuel pump and there was some fuel there, but not much.

Any help would be appreciated.

DaveTN

Threads
I have a craftsman 19.5HP rider that is 12 year old. It started surging the last two years and would backfire when shut off. Otherwise ran fine. This season it will not run. It starts when I prime with starting fluid, or pour gas in carb, but will not stay running on fuel from tank. I rebuilt the carb with a carb kit from sears, but still the same results. I disconnected the gas line at the fuel pump and there was some fuel there, but not much.

Any help would be appreciated.
Even when a mower sits in a shed or garage all winter, the gas will still sometimes go bad. When you mentioned "surging", I assume you meant "hunting" as in speeding up and slowing down and continuing to do so? What I've found in most "hunting" situations is either fuel starvation or governor out of adjustment. 90% of the time it's the main mixture / main jet not getting enough fuel (for various reasons). Also water will condense into the float bowl under the carburetor as well. I always drain my float bowls after winter before mowing. Small amount of water in there will cause all kinds of sputtering, cutting out, and dying. Check for water in the bowl. Adjust the main mixture screw counter-clockwise about a 1/8 turn. If it helps but doesn't solve the problem, go another 1/8 turn. Doesn't take much adjustments. With little fuel at the fuel pump, could be it's going out. Diaphragm change out would fix that. For a test you could BYPASS the fuel pump and keep the fuel source ABOVE the carburetor, that would tell you if it's the pump gone out. Hope this helps. Dave

SYE Brand

Forum Newbie
Threads
HWT: I'm the brand manager for a product called Start Your Engines! which we developed specfically for this sort of problem. What you're likely experiencing is bad gas. Just pour a bottle of Start Your Engines! into your fuel tank and give it a few minutes to dissolve gum and varnish that's clogged your carburetor and fuel line.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with. Thanks!
Kevin O.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
{sye!....get out of here ....this isnt a commercial...read the rules!}..................anyways HWT...i think its the ole ethanol problem again....i would get it cleaned properly and rebuilt....ethanol is nasty....it can be a sludge or even harden to a concrete...you've probably got plugged passages...tell us what you do:thumbsup:

SYE Brand

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just trying to help everyone save time and hassle. Don't take it apart, just pour in & start!

It's easy!
Kevin

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just trying to help everyone save time and hassle. Don't take it apart, just pour in & start!

It's easy!
Kevin

Wrong in so many ways!!
If only :laughing: