Ferris Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Deadbolt24

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey All ,

I'm just a Home owner with 4 neck operations so the ferris is my only and best choice.

Figured I would join to keep up with this and that with my Ferris's I have three ;

1500 48" 1654hrs needs gas tank
3100 61" 2489hrs needs work
2500 yanmar diesel 52" (newest and BEST) 990hrs

Dr. Robert

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Ferris Forum! I'm introducing myself, will post my "situation" in a separate thread. We own a 3 wheel Ferris Pro Cut 22 w/Kohler power and a 61 inch cutting path, I'll need to check date of manufacture, but believe this a very early 2000's unit (no suspension except the seat) with the single Eaton "hyrdrostatic" pump/wheel drive unit versus the later pump and individual shaft hydro motors. When we bought our home 7 years ago, we got the previous owner to include the Ferris as part of the deal. Such a deal! We mow ~ 6 acres in upstate NY, fairly wide open without a lot fancy footwork involved. We do have some low spots and typically a very wet Spring, and this where I love the Pro Cut set-up (raise the deck, shift weight onto drive wheels). I've only stuck this thing a couple times and there was no one to blame but me. We take our Ferris to a local dealer for annual/seasonal servicing and emergent "Uh-Oh's" that I cannot resolve under a shady tree so to speak - BJ's Outdoor Equipment in Fulton, NY - and I will say that we "shopped around" several service shops before deciding on BJ's. They do a great job and usually don't try and sell me a new mower when mine breaks.:wink:

Thanks for being here....Bob Close

Bennieb30

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I have a Duel Drive 48" walk behind had a a while just went over everything 2 years ago and replaced a few parts and repainted it and throw on some new decals. Wish I had a pic of the mower after I finished she was like new. But I think maybe next year I will replace her with a fw35 or a Z2.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

gfr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm looking to upgrade from a Husqvarna 48" 24hp. that really seems to struggle with a larger size lawn. I bought this from lowes about 5 years ago.
If the grass is a little damp it really doesn't do well at all. With ideal conditions it takes over 2 hours to cut 1.7 acres. So I'm looking at a used ferris 61" 30hp briggs, 2009 w/600hrs for $4300.
Is this going to be a noticeable difference, and a fair price?

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hours are correct for the age but at 9 years old $4300 sounds high. $3500 would be more reasonable. But you did not say what Farris you are looking at so this is just based on guessing.

Garf

Forum Newbie
Threads
1st time Ferris owner. I purchased the is2100z with 61" deck and B&S 28 Hp vanguard with oil cooler. This mower has changed my life significantly and as most have indicated I should of purchased a similar product 30 years ago - live and learn. Mowing time reduced to 1.6 hrs from roughly 4 hrs. So much time saved that I now mow 2 times a week. Best of all, it isn't such a pain anymore, it is fun.

NavyNuke

Forum Newbie
Threads
Almost Ready to buy!

Ferris rep coming out Thursday with a 52" deck. I live on 4 acres at the top of a hill so all 4 acres is pretty steep. I have issues with my current Craftsman 54" GT6000 not able to mow some areas or getting stuck frequently due to wet grass. Hoping this will work. Will see if 52" will do it or if I need to go down to 48:.

ironhead3fan

Threads
1st post on this forum. Brand new proud owner of the Ferris IS3200z Model# 5901571, Vanguard 37 HP with the Oil Guard and a 72" deck. Demo'ed the same mower with a 61" deck over the weekend. Holy wow, what a mower! Should be more than enough power to handle my 10 acres. No pics just yet, they have to assemble it at the dealer, it's still in the crate!

weathda

Threads
1st post on this forum. Brand new proud owner of the Ferris IS3200z Model# 5901571, Vanguard 37 HP with the Oil Guard and a 72" deck. Demo'ed the same mower with a 61" deck over the weekend. Holy wow, what a mower! Should be more than enough power to handle my 10 acres. No pics just yet, they have to assemble it at the dealer, it's still in the crate!

Jealous. Congrats! That's the exact mower I want (deck, engine, etc). I spend 3 hours on my 425 weekly and 7.5 hours about four times a year on a Kubota 2550 with a 5 ft bushhog. Would love to mow it all with a big Z. Please post pics when you get it! Are you picking it up or do they deliver?

ironhead3fan

Threads
Jealous. Congrats! That's the exact mower I want (deck, engine, etc). I spend 3 hours on my 425 weekly and 7.5 hours about four times a year on a Kubota 2550 with a 5 ft bushhog. Would love to mow it all with a big Z. Please post pics when you get it! Are you picking it up or do they deliver?

I am currently mowing with a JD z830a. That mower is a tank but not the most comfortable. I can mow 10 acres in about 3.5 hours comfortably on that one. I expect I'll cut that down to 2 hours on this new mower. I'm pretty excited to get it. I was debating on the 61" or 72". I only have 1 place where it won't fit and I've got other options for that. 20% increase in deck area on my relatively flat piece of ground made that decision an easy one.

I am picking it up. I think it's a tax thing more than anything else. I am buying it the next state over, and yes, I did inquire about no tax, and they said the IRS burned them on that once before so no go on that. I am paying less tax in the other state so I'll pick it up. It's still not that far away.

I'll be sure to post pics once I pick it up.