Ferris Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

scott

Forum Newbie
Threads
Good morning.

I am new to zero turn, but have done a fair amount or research and am ready to purchase. I've decided on a new IS 3100Z.

Last edited:

UGLYTRUK

Threads
WELCOME!!! The only down side to the ZT's is the turn the inside wheel backwards sometimes for tite turns, so it tears up the grass a little

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
WELCOME!!! The only down side to the ZT's is the turn the inside wheel backwards sometimes for tite turns, so it tears up the grass a little

You can mow incredibly fast with a ZTR... and you have to remember to slow down a little when you get around tight places... at reasonable speeds you will not tear up the grass., if you do your running a tire that is way too aggressive on a ZTR... :smile:KennyV

UGLYTRUK

Threads
It turns backwards when ur going slowly. You can watch it, it's trying to make ur turning circle smaller. I'll post a video of that when I get the machine back fr service

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
It turns backwards when ur going slowly. You can watch it, it's trying to make ur turning circle smaller. I'll post a video of that when I get the machine back fr service

Of course it will turn backwards if you pull the controller that far...
it will also go slower than the other side if you pull it back a little and push the outside (of your turning circle) faster...
If you are making your turns using only the inside of the turn controller... yes you are tearing up your lawn & you are going to cause the pump and wheel motor life to dramatically shorten...
You should not cause the drive wheels to go from forward to reverse without spending a little time in between... (that would be neutral, no oil flowing)...

Make turns by speeding up the outside wheel and slowing the inside, NOT by reversing the inside. I know you can force it do otherwise but it will be hard on everything.... :smile:KennyV

UGLYTRUK

Threads
Hmmm... I'll pay more attention. I didn't know that going backwards and forwards quickly would hurt things, my bad!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hmmm...
I didn't know that going backwards and forwards quickly would hurt things,

It's because of 'moment of inertia' ... rotational mass likes to continue as it is going ... lots of pressure to suddenly reverse everything... and as mentioned, when you do it really eats the turf also...

Your question about the Cat Diesel.. my sister has an Excel Hustler Super Z, with a CAT diesel... they LOVE it & it seems to be a great mower engine...
I have a Kubota Diesel on my 72 " ZTR... :smile:KennyV

UGLYTRUK

Threads
I don't really beat on it, but I'll try show a vid soon!

AndySKane

Threads
Hi, I have a Cub Cadet 2518 that needs engine work and am looking at buying a Ferris Zero Turn and came her to get info.

AndySKane

Threads
Bought a Ferris IS1500Z yesterday. I'm a homeowner and mow about two acres. Used it the first time yesterday afternoon. This was my first time mowing with a zero turn. It was very intense and will take several times for the stick use to become fully intuitive. The pro lawn guys make it look easy. I also threw in a picture of some of the stuff I mow.

Attachments

• Ferris1.jpg
    Ferris1.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 79
  • Ferris2.jpg
    Ferris2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 55
  • Ferris3.jpg
    Ferris3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 54
  • Ferris4.jpg
    Ferris4.jpg