Scag Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

GSDLVR

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Scag mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Scag owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Scag mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Scag stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

First time Scag owner...just purchased (Sat) a new Tiger Cat ll 52" mower with the 22HP FX Kawasaki Engine. I have a 17 acre horse farm - we use a full size tractor for the pastures, but will use this to mow our yard (bordered by a river) around 5 acres. This mower replaces our JD GX 235 Lawn Mower - it still runs great, my son just wanted a zero turn...I hope this is a good mower.

tigercat

Threads
First time Scag owner...just purchased (Sat) a new Tiger Cat ll 52" mower with the 22HP FX Kawasaki Engine. I have a 17 acre horse farm - we use a full size tractor for the pastures, but will use this to mow our yard (bordered by a river) around 5 acres. This mower replaces our JD GX 235 Lawn Mower - it still runs great, my son just wanted a zero turn...I hope this is a good mower.

Welcome
You'll love the Scag. It will cut much faster and cleaner than your old Deere.
There is a learning curve with it so don't dig up your lawn or slide it into the water. Always keep both rear wheels turning then you won't dig up the turf.

Too bad they never put brakes on the front wheels. No zero turn has them, but it would be safer on hills and stuff. On hills you must cut straight up the hill only. If you go straight down the hill the machine will slide on you. When it slides you dig up the grass with the potential of smashing it up like hitting a tree or fence.

BTBO

Threads
Greetings to all other Scaggers---I joined earlier this month to ask a ? about when to do the first drain of the hydrostatic oil on my new Scag Liberty Z 48". I got several replies, including one from the tech dept @ Hydro Gear. I also contacted Kawasaki Engines to inquire about when to drain the engine oil since I assumed the oil was of the "break in" variety. The Kawa owners manual says nothing other than to change oil every 100 hrs. IMO, that is far too long to wait for the first oil change. They said that because of advancements in engineering and manufacturing, there is no need for a break in period. My Scag has the 21 HP FR651V and as of today, 6.7 hrs. Also as of today, it now has fresh Mobil 1 20W50 and Mobil 1 M1-102A filter. I'm looking forward to many years on my new toy !!

Last edited:

tigercat

Threads
Greetings to all other Scaggers---I joined earlier this month to ask a ? about when to do the first drain of the hydrostatic oil on my new Scag Liberty Z 48". I got several replies, including one from the tech dept @ Hydro Gear. I also contacted Kawasaki Engines to inquire about when to drain the engine oil since I assumed the oil was of the "break in" variety. The Kawa owners manual says nothing other than to change oil every 100 hrs. IMO, that is far too long to wait for the first oil change. They said that because of advancements in engineering and manufacturing, there is no need for a break in period. My Scag has the 21 HP FR651V and as of today, 6.7 hrs. Also as of today, it now has fresh Mobil 1 20W50 and Mobil 1 M1-102A filter. I'm looking forward to many years on my new toy !!

Greetings.
Don't worry about the hydro oil. On my machine, it's 20W50 motor oil. It doesn't get black with use. It stays a yellow color for life. But you do want to keep it clean. So I would change it every 3-4 years or 100 hrs like they recommend. On my Tigercat it's very easy to do. I simply remove the filter then replace the filter. By removing the filter the oil automatically drains out of the system
Then just refill it to the correct level and bleed the hydro unit by driving slowly forward and back untill it behaves like normal. Remember to buy the correct hydraulic filter that is the most important thing about the system.

ThomasV

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I'm Tom, I have a 2013 Scag Tiger Cub. I purchased it last spring, it is an awesome machine.

Thanks for accepting me into the forum.

ThomasV

RICK55FLA

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all!

name's Rick,,I'm in Cen Fla. I have an old SCAG ,year model unknown.

Buzzshoney

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Scag mower owners! ?

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name ?). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Scag owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Scag mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Scag stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.
Hi, Buzz here. I have a 2002 turf tiger with the 27 horse Kawasaki water cooled on it. I’m hopeful this forum is as helpful as the one for my John deer 318!
Buzz

Roo'sHowTo's

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello and Greetings!!
I have a SCAG Tiger Cat 52" (STC52V-691FX) with a 22HP Kawasaki engine.

I use it to mow our 2.44 acre yard and it's been relatively trouble free until this season... I'll post more about that in the appropriate forum section!

Anyways....just wanted to say, hello to everybody!! ?

Susan christie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I'm Suzy Wong
I have a Scag Freedom Z Pro.
It has a Kawasaki FS691V
23.0 gross HP
Ok, I accidentally put 1/5 cup of SAE 10W-30 4-cycle ENGINE OIL IN THE HYDROLIC CONTAINER. THOUGHT I WAS PUTTING IN SAE 20W-50 4-CYCLE ENGINE OIL. (I THOUGHT IT WAS EMPTY - NEW OWNER). WILL IT STILL BE OK TO USE?