Simplicity Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
GREETINGS to all Simplicity mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Simplicity owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Simplicity mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Simplicity stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Jack Brehmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, just signed in as a new member. I have three Simplicity Sunstar tractors, one with a loader (handiest tool I have ever owned), one with a 60" mower deck, and one with a 48" deck. What I really like about these tractors is the hydrostat lever is right alongside the steering wheel. This feature is just not available on any newer tractors I have seen. Prices on parts have been very high and now Dealers are saying they do not have parts for this "out-of date" machine. So, I am turning to the internet for parts I need.
One problem I have with one tractor is overheating, and several Dealers could find nothing wrong. Mowing in warmer weather causes the "oil Sentry" to shut down the ignition. Difficult to get the work done when this happens!
Jack Brehmer, jackb@mtco.com

marmstead

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone,
I have an early Simplicity ZTR 14-44(I think) with a Kohler Command CV 460S-14 hp engine. It's the one with the steering bars on the center column. It has been abused (not by me, of course) but still does the job. It's amazing how it putts through tall, wet grass if the blades are sharp.

It does have a problem, however. The engine revs extreamly high and has poor response to the throttle lever. But this may not be the right place to go into that. I'll poke around the forum a bit and see if anyone has already posted this problem.

Thanks in advance for your help and insight.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
One problem I have with one tractor is overheating, and several Dealers could find nothing wrong. Mowing in warmer weather causes the "oil Sentry" to shut down the ignition. Difficult to get the work done when this happens!
Jack Brehmer, jackb@mtco.com

What engine is on this one...
If nothing else is wrong the problem may be fuel related...
Try running premium fuel with a high octane rating.
Regular grade gas has alcohol in it to bring it up to spec on octane... in hot weather and on a hot engine the alcohol will cook out leaving a fuel that will detonate under load... that will really heat it up fast...
Higher octane premium will fix this problem... :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Everyone,
It does have a problem, however. The engine revs extreamly high and has poor response to the throttle lever. ...
Thanks in advance for your help and insight.

Check for an air leak at the carb to engine... also the governor linkage...
BTW welcome to this forum... there are several folks here with simplicity tractors... :smile:KennyV

Bluesfan45

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got my father in laws 14 or 15 year old Sovereign Hydro 18hp, 48" cut passed down to me. I've wanted a Simplicity for a long time, ever since I helped out at a friends shop in VA who sells them.
It needs some work, missing several rollers, but those are just minor things in the grand scheme of my lawn care adventure.
Even in the state the deck is in, after sharpening the blades, greasing the spindles, it still cuts better and more even then my 2 year old Toro LX425.
Anyway, I am now the PROUD owner of a REAL riding mower.

Carl in CT

Threads
I just bought a new Conquest today! I found a dealer less than 20 miles away from me that had a leftover 2010 Conquest with a 50" deck and the 23hp Vangaurd motor. He sold it to me for his cost, $5,200, $800 off of his list price. I tried to get him down a little more but he said he was not even quite breaking even at $5,200. I got the 1.9% financing for 60 months. That offer expires tomorrow, 4/30/11 so just in time unless they extend it as they have with the other ones (like 0% for 3 years, etc). Paid the tax and finance promotion fees plus a little extra so I financed just under $4,900 which should get my monthly payments around $85-$90 a month. That made this mower the best deal I could find since the used ones disappear almost as fast as my grass is growing and even the cheaper John Deere X320 would have cost more overall because the financing is not as good (4.9% for 4 years, still not horrible). He also had another 2010 with 4wd and power steering for $1,200 more which was very tempting but I do not need it and am already stretching the budget as it is.

I had a small heart attack when the words "oil/lube" came on the little info screen on the dash and the deck was cutting like crap. Read the manual and that is just a oil/lube service reminder, not the oil pressure light (odd for a mower with less than 5 hours on it?). The deck had a spring that was not attached. Fixed the spring and it mows fine now. My yard is an uneven mess from my backhoe driving all over it and at least 6 inches tall so not fair to judge the cut quality yet but it actually looks wicked good already.

Here are some pics, including our Sheltie pup in the background.

Attachments

• Simplicity Conquest new leftover 2010 bought 04.29.11 001.jpg
    Simplicity Conquest new leftover 2010 bought 04.29.11 001.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Simplicity Conquest new leftover 2010 bought 04.29.11 003.jpg
    Simplicity Conquest new leftover 2010 bought 04.29.11 003.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Simplicity Conquest new leftover 2010 bought 04.29.11 004.jpg
    Simplicity Conquest new leftover 2010 bought 04.29.11 004.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Simplicity Conquest new leftover 2010 bought 04.29.11 005.jpg
    Simplicity Conquest new leftover 2010 bought 04.29.11 005.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 32

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is one sweet machine, Carl! :thumbsup:

I have always liked the full roller in the rear of Simplicity decks......a carry-over from the 60's, I suspect....My '67 Broadmoor has that, as well!

Too rich for my blood, but nice nevertheless! :biggrin:

Josephii

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Simplicity mower owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower (that is, if your mower have a name :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your mower and show off your pride and joy.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Simplicity owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Simplicity mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Simplicity stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

Hello:

I have a sunrunner and I can't get the rear wheels off of it.....I feel stupid!

Thanks.

Joe

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello:

I have a sunrunner and I can't get the rear wheels off of it...

Joe

Hello Joe...
Those are cute little mowers...
I found a youtube for me and anyone else that has not seen one...
YouTube - The 1987 Simplicity SunRunner rear-wheel-turn lawn tractor
There were only 2 and both have operators that should not be allowed to operate neat old equipment... but hey I guess its theirs to wreck...

The rear wheels look to be regular light weight spindles, most likely bushings but could be bearings... they should come right off... what is under the little dust cap? :smile:KennyV