Troy-Bilt Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
GREETINGS to all Troy-Bilt owners! :thumbsup:

If you're new to the forum, please reply to this thread and introduce yourself and your mower or tiller (that is, if your mower or tiller have names :laughing:). maybe attach a photo or two of your equipment.

Also, if you haven't done so already you can upload a user avatar (picture under your user name). You can do so by clicking on settings and "edit avatar" or just click here.

Please be helpful and friendly to all other Troy-Bilt owners (how could you not, right?) and if you like this forum, tell your friends about it. :biggrin:

We want to make this the best resource for Troy-Bilt mower owners, and to do that we need your help! Questions? Experiences? Stories? Data? Photos? Articles? Links? Cool Troy-Bilt stuff? Post it here!

Last but not least, please let me know if you have any suggestions for the site. We'd love to hear them.

troy-boy

Forum Newbie
Threads
User name is troy-boy. I have a 21" walk behind self-propelled no primer with a 6.75 hp Briggs & Straton. Very nice mower but having some issues keeping it running. I posted last night and am hoping for some guidance. Thank you.

Slade

Forum Newbie
Threads
User name is troy-boy. I have a 21" walk behind self-propelled no primer with a 6.75 hp Briggs & Straton. Very nice mower but having some issues keeping it running. I posted last night and am hoping for some guidance. Thank you.

I have the same mower and have issues with getting it to start. It's only a few months old and has always been hard to start. Today I pulled the spark plug and it was covered with oil. I'm going to call the service number (Lowe's) and see what they can do.

dehrhard513

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello! I have a Troy Bilt 12AJ836E011 and I love it!

Derek

oldnacl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for allowing me to join

OldNacl

bobtx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bobtx here! I've got a 21" walk behind, model 12AVB26M011, Briggs 6.75. Had it a couple years, but due to our Texas drought, haven't used it but about 4 times. I guess I post my problem somewhere else. Hoping someone here is smarter than me on this, but that won't be saying much. :biggrin:

vabear

Threads
VABEAR and I own a TB230 and could not be happier, replaced a four year old TORO 22" FWD variable speed re-cycle that went through four transmissions in four year.

jayreaser

Forum Newbie
Threads
I own a TroyBilt riding mower. It is a Pony model. I was glad to see this forum.:smile:

chipinsc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi Chip here from SC ( bet y'all figured that by the user name ) Old Blue is a 2005 troy bilt pony 42" cut. really glad to have found this forum !! thanks for letting me play !
I have what I think may be a starter issue, when I turn the key it doesnt crank at first I thought battery so I attemtped to jump it ...still no start so I buy a new battery & have the same issue this time I tried "bumping " the key a few times & then it did start...starter , ignition or ...?

Lawnranger

Threads
Welcome to the forum. I would start by checking to see if you have power to the small wire on your solenoid when you turn the key to the start position. You may need an assistant to help you but you can do this quick, simple check to test the key switch and wiring. You may have other problems such as an intermittent safety switch but that will show up when you perform the above test. If you get voltage consistently with every turn of the key to the start position then it probably isn't the ignition switch.

If you have two small wires on your solenoid, one is ground and the other is power from the ignition switch so to determine which is which, connect your test light to the positive battery cable and touch both small wire connectors. The one that lights the light is your ground wire so make sure to check the other small wire when performing the voltage check.

Here is a great checklist I borrowed from another forum member:

Diagnosing No Start Electrical Checks

1. Check the battery voltage, should be at least 12.5V.

2. Check every connection, making sure they bare, clean and tight.

3. Short across the two large terminals on the solenoid with a large screwdriver or pliers with the key switch in the run position. It should turn over and start.

4. Take a wire and go from the + terminal of the battery, to the small terminal on the solenoid, with the key switch on. It should turn over and start.

5. With a test light, check to see if you have power at the B terminal on the key switch.

6. Turn the key switch to the start position and with a test light check to see if you have power on the small terminal of the solenoid.

7. Remove the solenoid and clean the base of the solenoid and the chassis where it bolts to make sure it is grounded electrically.

I have more info for you but do these checks first and report back with your findings. Make sure to perform ALL of the above checks because the one you skip will be the one that is your problem.

Have fun