Honda Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

dgail620

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, ya'll. Owner of a classic Honda HR214 that seems to have picked up a really bad smoking habit. I've had the mower for about 14 years but it originally belonged to my inlaws. The father in law bought a new Honda and gifted this to me. I'm now a widow and the one responsible for the upkeep of the lawn equipment so came looking here.
Besides the Honda mower, I have a Craftsman 3.5 hp Eager 1 gas edger and a Stihl weedeater and blower/vac. I also have a Echo tiller a neighbor offloaded on me over the winter that won't start but I haven't tinkered with it yet.
Looking forward to soaking in the knowledge here. I'm not afraid to try my own repairs. My dad and I rebuilt my '65 Corvair (my first car) and I learned a lot about engines from him.
Gail

deckeda

Threads
Hi, ya'll. Owner of a classic Honda HR214 that seems to have picked up a really bad smoking habit. I've had the mower for about 14 years but it originally belonged to my inlaws. The father in law bought a new Honda and gifted this to me. I'm now a widow and the one responsible for the upkeep of the lawn equipment so came looking here.
Besides the Honda mower, I have a Craftsman 3.5 hp Eager 1 gas edger and a Stihl weedeater and blower/vac. I also have a Echo tiller a neighbor offloaded on me over the winter that won't start but I haven't tinkered with it yet.
Looking forward to soaking in the knowledge here. I'm not afraid to try my own repairs. My dad and I rebuilt my '65 Corvair (my first car) and I learned a lot about engines from him.
Gail

Hopefully others will chime in here, or you might ask specifically about the mower in a fresh thread. I suppose we could speculate about it burning oil ... never had an oil change, rings are shot, bad luck ... doesn't matter the reason I guess.

I would also suppose that if the rest of the mower is fine, perhaps a hurt donor mower could supply its GXV120 but the funds might be better spent going to a rebuild of yours. Or perhaps someone here can say if a GXV140 or GXV160 could be hot-rodded into the chassis.

dgail620

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for your reply. I did start a new thread so hopefully will get some advice from a "been there, done that" veteran.
I was hot on the trail of a donor mower from Craigslist over the weekend but some lucky sap beat me to it. $100 and ran well little or no smoke but the lower self propelled setting didn't work. Probably an easy fix.
Rats, kicking myself for missing out on that.

CalgaryPT

Threads
Looking at the Honda HRX217HZC up here in Calgary. I am a big Honda fan with an EU2000i, an HSS520 single stage and a new HS724 ATC (tracked) two stage. Also Honda engines on my pressure washers.

I actually don't need a new lawn mower as I just rebuilt my Briggs L-head that's 25 years old and runs great. But my wife hates a pull start and so wants one with an electric start. I won't have anything but a Honda, so it is off to the dealer tomorrow I guess.

Do you guys like these machines?

Can you get a service manual for the HRX217HZC ? I like to understand how all my machines work.

Does anyone know the difference between the 2016 and 2017 HRX217HZC models? Thanks.

- Peter

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you get a service manual for the HRX217HZC ? I like to understand how all my machines work.

Does anyone know the difference between the 2016 and 2017 HRX217HZC models? Thanks.

- Peter

Hard to get an actual Canadian-spec Honda shop manual. The good news is the USA-spec HRX is pretty much an identical mower, and you can get a USA-spec shop manual from Honda via eBay or Amazon:

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Honda mowers don't have model years like cars, but use a version code called a K-number to document running changes. You can see what K-number / version mower you have by looking at the serial number sticker on the rear of the deck; for your mower, it will be marked HRX217K_HZC where the blank is probably a 4 or 5. I doubt you have a K3 version, but as it is a Canada-spec machine, hard to know for sure.

The USA-spec of the HRX217HZA is at K5 version.

CalgaryPT

Threads
Hard to get an actual Canadian-spec Honda shop manual. The good news is the USA-spec HRX is pretty much an identical mower, and you can get a USA-spec shop manual from Honda via eBay or Amazon:

Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on eBay
Honda Power Equipment Shop Manuals on Amazon

Honda mowers don't have model years like cars, but use a version code called a K-number to document running changes. You can see what K-number / version mower you have by looking at the serial number sticker on the rear of the deck; for your mower, it will be marked HRX217K_HZC where the blank is probably a 4 or 5. I doubt you have a K3 version, but as it is a Canada-spec machine, hard to know for sure.

The USA-spec of the HRX217HZA is at K5 version.

As always...thanks Robert!

rgarbach

Forum Newbie
Threads
GREETINGS to all Honda mower owners! :thumbsup:

Hi Muhammad -- Blessings!

Looking forward to getting help installing handlebar on my HRX217HXA mower.

All the best!

graaar51

Threads
Checking in with my Honda Hrb216txa. Its been handed down to me with some issues so that is why I am here to learn from all of you!

Jbobsbbq

Forum Newbie
Threads
Honda Mower HRR216.jpg
HRR216 Purchased last year for my wife to replace the John Deere she'd been useing for 18 years. She required electric start.
Thinking about a tractor HT3813 or what I can find. :tractor:

Jbobsbbq

RoyalMaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
20190316_143655 (2).jpg
I bought a Honda HRX217VLA
it has the new GVC200 engine and electric start.
Self propelled.
I am enjoying this mower.

Attachments

• 20190316_143655.jpg
    20190316_143655.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 1