testing starter

D2hornets58

Threads
I think the starter on my mower is bad. Is there any way that I could test the starter to make sure it's bad before I buy a new one?
Thanks

crazyoldtractor

Threads
Make sure the battery on the mower is charged and is able to hold a charge(The battery may just be really shot). Then, just hook up the red jumper to the battery (you can leave the black disconnected, it really doesn't matter, there is already ground between the battery and starter through the frame of the mower). Then touch the other end of the red jumper to the terminal where there should already be a red cable bolted onto the starter. This will bypass any possible faulty wiring or a faulty solenoid, this test will mimick what happens when you turn the key to start it. If it cranks the engine, then its good, maybe you just need a new solenoid, or maybe its bad wiring somewhere. If the starter just spins then the "Bendix" assembly on top is faulty OR the gear on top of the starter is stripped as it is usually made out of a plastic material that wears out over time. You can usually order a Bendix rebuild kit for any starter instead of having to replace the entire unit. This way is usually cheaper. If you don't want to fuss with that, then just buy a new starter. Just beware starters are not that cheap.

Reply when you have tested the starter, i can probably help you further.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Crazy has great advice, I would just add that after you test the starter and think it's bad take it to the place you plan to purchase the new starter from and have them test it to make sure you didn't miss one of Crazy's steps. It will also make you feel more confident in your skills if they confirm your findings.

D2hornets58

Threads
Ok the battery is dead. I tried using a battery jump starter by just putting that on the wires and having the battery disconected. Also in order to start this mower before I would jump the solenoid with a screwdriver. Would using the battery jumper on the wires be ok or should I start with a new battery?
Thanks for the help

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Can you give us the make and model numbers of both the mower and engine. This will help us help you. We can then get a better picture as to what to advise. Thanks.

D2hornets58

Threads
Rivets said:
Can you give us the make and model numbers of both the mower and engine. This will help us help you. We can then get a better picture as to what to advise. Thanks.

Ya I'll post those here tomorow.
Thanks