Now I have gas in my oil

stang8689

Threads
I posted on here a few days ago about my mower was running perfect after doing some work to it, I started cutting and it died after a minute or 2. I was able to get it to start again the next day but it did the same thing. I just went out to work on it and noticed I was missing a lot of gas, checked for gas leaks and found none. Checked the oil and it has alot more then its supposed to and of course smells like gas, is there anyway it could be something that's not internal? I have put several hundred dollars into this mower and I would be screwed if it's something major, It's a 25hp briggs engine and a 54"cut troy bilt with 194 hours on it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Something is keeping the needle valve from sealing against the seat. Need to take carb and clean it, and possible put in repair kit and that should fix it. Alot of people are recommending inline shutoff valves for there mowers which are not a bad idea.

stang8689

Threads
What kind of repair kit, do you mean a total rebuild kit or something else? Also what kind of shut off valve would I need?

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Add the $2.00 black and red plastic fuel shut off between the tank and carb ...

stang8689

Threads
Do I just need a carb rebuild kit? How hard is it to rebuild the carb? So guessing with the fuel shut off valve I would turn the fuel off and let the engine die or just turn it the engine off and then turn the fuel off. Thanks

natenkiki2004

Threads
Carb rebuilds are pretty straightforward unless something is seriously wrong with them. I've done 3 and always had success. I wouldn't even call myself a small engine repair guy, I'm a computer technician by trade. All you have to do is get the rubber seat out and replace the needle. Those two pieces seal off any more gas from coming into the carb once the bowl is full. Then replace the gaskets where necessary when you put it back together. I always add an in-line filter and petcock if the engine allows. Even if the filter is overkill, it's like $3.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
You can need a rebuild kit . They are about $15.00 and a you tube video is easy to follow . Simple to take apart and put back together . Take pictures if you need to .
The fuel shut off is turn OFF when your ready to park the machine . Turn it off and let the motor run until the gas is burned up in the carb.
Remember to turn your key off .

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
If it helps - when we get bored at work each of us go out to the scrap tractor or push mower pile , bring them in the shop and put them on our lift tables and see who can get their machine started first .
Sometimes they end up getting completely repaired and sold or we just sell the running motors .
Fixing your machines is not hard .

stang8689

Threads
But you do think it's the carb for sure? Where do you get the rebuild kit for $15 the cheapest I found was $35. thanks

natenkiki2004

Threads
The only way gas can get into the oil is through the carb and the only way that can happen is if the carb is overfilled which happens when you have a faulty needle & seat. If you can't find a cheap kit then see if you can get away with just buying the needle & seat (look at the Briggs parts diagrams, get the numbers and plug them into eBay, probably $5 for both shipped.). If it's never had carb work done, it will likely need a new float bowl gasket.