MTD Yard Machine mower 11A084E029 won't start or won't hold after start

hellosanrio

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MTD Yard Machine mower 11A084E029 won't start or won't hold after start
last week i made a mistake to put in the motor oil in the carburetor cup and that mortor oil filled over into the tube next to it. i think that tube leads to exhaust.

a friend told me to put the gasoline in the carburetor to clear or clean the line. i did that.

after i primed 5 to 8 times and with the old spark plug, the mower started but died in a few seconds. this happened a few times. after i had replaced the old spark plug the mower would "kick up" but not fired up (or start).

what's going on ?

redfish9

Threads
I don't know the answer to your question because i'm not therebutif it was my mower i would take the plugs out and see if there was pooled oil in the cylinders.Oil dosn't compress very good.If dry I check the fuel system to see if any oil entered thruogh the intake valve when you were crancking the motor

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Here's where I would start. First, pull the spark plug out. Second, squirt some gas into the cylinder. Pull the engine over 10-15 times. Third, dry the old plug the best you can and insert it back in. You are not going to start the engine, just check to see how much oil is left in the cylinder. Pull the engine over 3 times. Pull the plug. If it has a lot of oil on it repeat the steps again until you only get a thin coat of oil on the plug. NEVER PRIME DURING ANY OF THIS TEST. Insert a new plug and prime three times. Try starting the engine. DO THIS OUTSIDE BECAUSE THERE IS GOING TO BE A LOT OF SMOKE IF IT STARTS. If it starts, let it run until the smoke disappears. Now you have to change the oil. This is not a hard fix, it is just going to take time. Good luck and let us know what happens.