Jacobsen Commercial 60/72 Owners Manual

buzzzmeister

Threads
Just wondering if anyone knows of any Owners or any other manual for an early '60's Jake Commercial 60 or Commercial 72 mower. Paper copy or a .pdf copy.

BlueM683

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello

I do have an owners manual for a Jacobsen Commercial 60 I will just have to look for where I put it. If you are still looking for one??

Thanks

Don

buzzzmeister

Threads
Yes sir, still looking! I've been looking for a manual for the past several years so a bit longer doesn't matter. :smile:

Parkmower

Threads
I have manuals for turfcat 628d. It has a 72" deck but I believe this isn't what your looking for

buzzzmeister

Threads
No, about the only thing Turfcats & the old Commercials have in common is orange paint.

troublesman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Can you post a pic of the commercial 60 or 72 your looking for the manual for. I have a manual for what I think is a 70's model, but I can't find anything to verify that.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 36

buzzzmeister

Threads
Yessiree! That be a picture of a Commercial 60. The 60's had a Kohler engine with 5' deck and the 72's were Ford powered and a 6' deck. Here's a quick link I found on the 'net: http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/dto_garage/users/61764/1889.jpg

This one had been re-fitted at one point with a 72" deck. When we got it, the engine was pretty tired so it mostly languished in the back of the shed. A couple of years ago it was fitted with a new Kohler engine. It had been running great but the cut had started getting uneven. The deck was pulled and had a crack up the front of the deck that let it flex quite a bit so...

Right now the mower is getting an 'enhanced restoration.' It was taken down to all its individual pieces, all paint was pretty much ground off and everything was primed and painted Chevy orange engine block enamel for durability. The deck was taken apart and rebuilt and the side runners were removed and 4 gauge wheels installed to control cut height because...

The Armstrong handle on the right side to raise & lower the deck has been replaced with a hydraulic cylinder attached to a re-engineered main lift shaft which will raise & lower the deck. When the deck is lowered, the deck will be in full 'float mode' and riding on those 4 gauge wheels. On the right side where the Armstrong lever used to be, there will be a gauge pod with voltage/hour/oil pressure gauges, key, choke & throttle and the hydraulic lever to raise & lower the deck. The mower is just being brought up to maybe what Jacobsen would of done if the mower were built in the 90's instead of the '60's.

Once the bugs are worked out and everything is painted p to snuff, I certainly plan on posting some pics. I also plan on a website documenting the 'restoration.' Until then, one just has to imagine what a 40 odd year-old Jake mower can look like with a few 21st century upgrades. :thumbsup:

troublesman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have two of these that are complete, minus one spindle and a deck belt, oops. lol.
I can not find parts for anything other than the motors. I am off tomorrow, and will try to photo copy the manual I have and get it to you. I will attempt to make it public for all to get ahold of. I would like to do the lift like that, that lever is a bear. This is a pic of the other one, I believe it is older. I was under the impression that they were 1978, and 1973. If you know any different, let me know. The model numbers are 66000 and 66005. 1978 is written on the owners manual with pen.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 29

buzzzmeister

Threads
I have two of these that are complete, minus one spindle and a deck belt, oops. lol.
I can not find parts for anything other than the motors. I am off tomorrow, and will try to photo copy the manual I have and get it to you. I will attempt to make it public for all to get ahold of. I would like to do the lift like that, that lever is a bear. This is a pic of the other one, I believe it is older. I was under the impression that they were 1978, and 1973. If you know any different, let me know. The model numbers are 66000 and 66005. 1978 is written on the owners manual with pen.

****** to hell & back, I accidentally deleted my rather lengthy reply.

I hear you on the spindles, ours were all good along with bearings so we left well enough alone. If we had a bad spindle, we were going to retrofit John Deere spindles and then use the 24" blades as used in our JD F911 mower. We did toss a new deck drive belt on it, a B230 (123") for the 72" deck. As for bearings, bushings and other odds & ends, its all standard off-the-shelf stuff. We had the hardest time finding the double v belt for t he motor to clutch but Northern Tool of all places carries that in their catalog. I have belt numbers so its just a matter of getting that stuff posted.

Question, on your last posted picture, you have a toolbox mounted on yours left side rear. Where is your hydraulic reservoir? We have a 2 gallon hydraulic reservoir tank in that area with a filter assembly mounted inboard underneath.

Its funny about the years on these things. My 'local' Jacobsen dealer Home has always told me early to mid 60's when I ask about the Commercial 60/72.

troublesman

Forum Newbie
Threads
The older one has , well, I believe to be older, has the tool box on it, and no hydraulic cooler on the right. The newer one has the reservoir and a cooler on the right next to the flywheel.