John Deere 185 Hydro/new battery, acts like its a dead battery

jordan_fehlman

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere 185 Hydro/new battery, acts like its a dead battery
Hi guys, I am having trouble with my john deere 185 hydro. I am fortunite to own a deere, I bought a house last year and my father gave me his lawn tractor. As far as I remeber when you turn the key it always "clunked and clicked" a few times then it would fire. From little research I've found that that clunking sound is from a failing starter solenoid.

I changed that, I also left my battery hooked up all winter that was dead and wouldn't hold a charge. So I bought a new battery, Keep in mind I had this started after I put in the solenoid, by putting a BOOST Charger on it I am guessing about 15-20 Volts. Now I have a new battery and It acts like a dead battery, Lights dim when I turn the key, you bearly hear anything.

I tryed to jump it off the solenoid and its sparking like hell and it sound like somthing in spinning really fast. Could I have a bad starter?

My battery has 13 volts, the starter solenoid has 12 volts I checked it with a volt meter. Im sure if I put the boost charger on it will fire up, but I dont want to do that to my brand new battery. Any Suggestions, I am tempted to go buy a new Deere, but That wouldn't make my girl very happy.

Any comments are welcome. Thank You and I appreciate it.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
WELCOME to LMF

I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum. :smile:

rbroug

Threads
sounds like you have a bad ground. check your battery post then the cables voltage is the same on both. check the ground to frame to see if you have a good ground at that point also.

jordan_fehlman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Could This Be It? Seems like when you push in the clutch its supposed to hit this button????????? The Mower always started without pushing in the clutch also...Anyone know where to buy one? The Plug seems to be rusted to the button..

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

jordan_fehlman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Brake Saftey Switch...

Anyone know how I can bypass? or Get a new One???????????????????????????

jordan_fehlman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, I spliced them to wires on the brake safety switch, twisted them together, put a wire nut on. WORKED PERFECT. PROBLEM SOLVED!:thumbsup:

fires up every time.

rbroug

Threads
good glad that worked for you. now you should remove the wire nut and make it a good connection that will last, wire nut dont last that long. just so you dont have this happen again later on.

jordan_fehlman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yah, the wire nut was all i had.

rbroug

Threads
wire nut will work for now but do it right sooner then later. get a heat shrenk connector and put on it before the wire nut fails on you which it will sooner or later at some point.

frankiebee

Forum Newbie
Threads
SEE ENTRY ABOVE THIS ONE