GXV 140 Leaking oil....BAD!

inky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all! New guy here and have a problem. I have a Honda Masters HR 215 KHXA, absolutely love how this thing runs and cuts however an oil leak has developed that dang near empties all the oil in one cutting! Been stubbornly filling as needed but is geting ridiculous. Seems to be coming from the gasket between the cylinder and the oil pan, directly under the clinder head (not the head gasket) . Have looked at some parts diagrams and see the gasket needed but also see something called a Pipe oil defense (Honda code 182502). Where this is shown on the diagram is right where the leak is. What is this part and will it likely need to be changed as well? Anyone have any experience with this? If it helps here's all the info from the mower-
HR215KHXA
Serial # MZAM-6297388
Engine family 2HNXS 1351AL
Thanks in advance for any help or info!

redfish9

Threads
I'm taking a shot in the dark here but maybe there a o ring on the bottom of the tube.If you clean it real good and start it you will see exactly where it coming from

inky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks red! Cleaned it up real good and can definately see oil spurting out the front of the oil pan gasket. Yes, I said spurting! Not just a seep. This oil stop defense must be internal, nothing on the outside of the engine, or possibly my particular engine doesn't have this part?

redfish9

Threads
hope it works good after repair

Ida-Boy

Threads
I have the same engine, on an HR215SXA a commercial model about 20 years old. I have cleaned and replaced the o ring at the bottom of the tube and I found mine is leaking under the flywheel. It has to get warm before it starts to leak. I am going to pick up the part as the local shop says I should be able to pull the flywheel and replace it without a tear down.
I will post back on my results.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks red! Cleaned it up real good and can definately see oil spurting out the front of the oil pan gasket. Yes, I said spurting! Not just a seep. This oil stop defense must be internal, nothing on the outside of the engine, or possibly my particular engine doesn't have this part?

There is an oil defense pipe (internal) on the GXV140. It's a pressure fit

I suspect the pan gasket...

gxv140pan_zpsdcc6ad62.jpg

bwdbrn1

Threads
Don;t mean to steal away from the thread, but for Ida-Boy, when you get ready to replace that seal, here's a seal driver I made for doing the sort of thing you're going to be doing.

Get a PVC adaptor that's got a threaded end on one side. Saw the threaded portion off leaving a flat surface on one side with a nice hole in the middle. That hole will fit over the shaft and the flat surface will push against the seal. Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, gut you'll get the idea.

Then use a length of pipe or PVC that's longer than the shaft your going over and drive the seal in nicely.

I first used it on the B&S in the pictures, and since used it to drive in the lower seals on Honda GXV120s.

Ida-Boy

Threads
I have ordered the top seal #35 and the gasket, #9 in the parts diagram and think that may do the trick. I will post my findings.

Thanks for the tip on install. I have some stuff laying around in the plastic fitting department that may just do the trick.

Ida-Boy

Threads
Did the install and I found after the engine warms up (5 to 10 minutes) she started to leak oil once again. Did what I could so now the question is to buy new or take to shop.

I have ordered the top seal #35 and the gasket, #9 in the parts diagram and think that may do the trick. I will post my findings.

Thanks for the tip on install. I have some stuff laying around in the plastic fitting department that may just do the trick.

Ida-Boy

Threads
**Update** I installed a new seal and gasket for the oil breather on top of the engine and she still leaks. It is very hard to see where the oil is coming from. It has to warm up before you see the oil and it appears everywhere on top. :confused2:

I have the same engine, on an HR215SXA a commercial model about 20 years old. I have cleaned and replaced the o ring at the bottom of the tube and I found mine is leaking under the flywheel. It has to get warm before it starts to leak. I am going to pick up the part as the local shop says I should be able to pull the flywheel and replace it without a tear down.
I will post back on my results.