new member, help with Kohler starting/backfire?

stainless

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I own an older simplicity brodmoore with a 12.5hp Kohler engine. Its about a 1998-2000 model.

For the past 1 1/2 years I have been frustrated with the way this thing starts/runs on occasion. In most cases it will only start with starting fluid when cold, But at least it will start. Once its up and running it runs pretty good. Sometimes after running for an extended period of time it will start to bog down and die........If I shut it off manually, letit sit for 5 minutes and try to restart it, it will backfire out of the carb and not start . It usually wont start for close to an hour or more after this happens and usually needs a battery charge or jump start. For the most part it runs and mows great but the starting issues have me frustrated. It has a new air and fuel filter, new fuel pump. Ive had the carb looked at and "they" say it looks perfect....... Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jon

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Carbs not perfect. Find the oldest mechanic in your area and have him rebuild it. Also, check to see if your charging system is working. You should have 13.5V at the battery while the engine is running.

stainless

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. I only ask this because Im clueless.... from my description, in your opinion its most likely the carb? thanks again

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry I have not gotten back to you, had something's that needed attention. Yes, I feel the carb is the problem, needs a good rebuild. Also, did you check charging voltage?

stainless

Forum Newbie
Threads
It turns out that it was the carb. I forget the name of the name of the part that was missing. its a round metal disk that sits under the float. Cant remember its name or purpose but my buddy fixed it and its running like a champ now.