Deck protection

obiwavy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey! I am planning on buying another Honda Izy as the deck of my last one rotted away. The engine is perfect and starts with half a pull every time. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of rustproofing mowers. I was considering another coat of paint, maybe Hammerite. Or an underbody seal. Has anyone tried that? Thanks
davy

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey! I am planning on buying another Honda Izy as the deck of my last one rotted away. The engine is perfect and starts with half a pull every time. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of rustproofing mowers. I was considering another coat of paint, maybe Hammerite. Or an underbody seal. Has anyone tried that? Thanks
davy

Lawn mower decks rot from the inside out due to the grass turning to a kind of acid and basically eating the metal.
Best way to look after a deck is red oxide paint and wash after every use.

obiwavy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok Thanks, you figure thats the best. Have you tried underbody seal? This is what it says... Hammerite Underbody Seal
Gives heavy duty protection for areas that are most prone to abrasion and high impact - ideal for wheel arches, floor panels and other underbody areas
Protects against stones, water and salt prolonging your vehicle痴 life
Powerful rust inhibitors based on the proven Waxoyl system displace moisture and seal the surface against further corrosion
Just wondering

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok Thanks, you figure thats the best. Have you tried underbody seal? This is what it says... Hammerite Underbody Seal
Gives heavy duty protection for areas that are most prone to abrasion and high impact - ideal for wheel arches, floor panels and other underbody areas
Protects against stones, water and salt prolonging your vehicle痴 life
Powerful rust inhibitors based on the proven Waxoyl system displace moisture and seal the surface against further corrosion
Just wondering

Under body seal is sticky when applied and will have all the grass and debris stick to it.
Manufacturers want your decks to rot as that will make people buy there product again.
Standard steel deck mowers are meant to last 5-7 years then throw away and buy a new one as you have had the best out of it.
Cheapest way is to just keep it clean.

obiwavy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ahh yes I was wondering if it was sticky. Thanks! My mower did last 7 years which was 6 years longer than the previous, dare I mention it here, Flymo! Though all of last year grass was flying everywhere through the holey deck.

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
WELCOME to LMF

I moved your thread to the General Mower Discussion Forum. :smile:

obiwavy

Forum Newbie
Threads
WELCOME to LMF

I moved your thread to the General Mower Discussion Forum. :smile:

Hey Briana. I just noticed your mower statement and it reminded me of a personal ad I saw recently that read 'Girl with lawn seeks man with mower' hahaa
Davy

173abn

Threads
I tried EZlide which is a graphite paint,worked fair.I now paint on a rust inhiabiator I get at TSC,two coats of that.I then spray on MOW Deck ,also sold at TSC.Seems to work pretty good.As was said keep the underside clean of grass.I clean mine after every mow,and spray the MOW Deck on. russ

173abn

Threads
Sorry ,just noticed you are in the UK. You might google rust inhibators and MOW Deck..russ

obiwavy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Russ. I wodered why those names were unknown to me! I have decided to go with a paint we have here in the UK known as Hammerite. It contains rust inhibitors. I figured a couple of coats before the first mow. I think my problem is I very much doubt I can be arsed to clean it every time. Maybe 3 coats then!